Buff Orpington or Barred Rock Roo

webberps

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 29, 2013
I'm getting a Roo to hopefully teach my dog to leave the new chicks alone. He's find with the hens but our first hatching of chicks and the hutching mom is still in a pen for safety but the peeping is driving my dog crazy so I'm scared to let her out with the other hens to free range around the yard.
My cousin has barred rock and buff orp roos which one would do a better job? I have 2 Buff Orp, 1 RIR, 1 Golden Comet 3 Golden Wynd and 1 Blk SL.
So what do you think?
At least the Buff would go with BO hens.
Let me know as I have to get it Wed.
Thanks Pam

I'm getting a Roo to hopefully teach my dog to leave the new chicks alone. He's find with the hens but our first hatching of chicks and the hutching mom is still in a pen for safety but the peeping is driving my dog crazy so I'm scared to let her out with the other hens to free range around the yard.
My cousin has barred rock and buff orp roos which one would do a better job? I have 2 Buff Orp, 1 RIR, 1 Golden Comet 3 Golden Wynd and 1 Blk SL.
So what do you think?
At least the Buff would go with BO hens.
Let me know as I have to get it Wed.
Thanks Pam

I think that either rooster would be a fine addition to your flock, though I would probably go with the Buff Orpington rooster. However, what makes you think that a rooster would help teach your dog to leave the chicks alone? Its true that roosters will protect their flock at least somewhat against predators, but a rooster is not a very a very threatening match for a medium to large sized dog. Dogs just naturally have an instinct to hunt and kill cheeping, moving things. It would be best if you just kept your dog away from the chicks until they reach maturity, or at least supervise him around the birds.

he is a small dog and new to us and the hens let him know when is in the wrong place. He is still learning to trust us there fore I don't want him scrared of us.

There is a difference between fear and setting boundaries. A good correction goes a long way.

I introduced one of my dogs to our pullets when they were tiny. This dog is very well-behaved and lives to please us. He was and still is great with the hens.

The other dog was introduced while on a leash. It took a good month or so of keeping him on a leash and teaching him proper behavior around the chickens. We were able to set boundaries without fear. Reward the good behavior (treat when ignoring the chickens), and redirecting bad behavior (barking at chickens, given a command to sit as a redirect).

Is mama hen protective of her chicks?

I would be afraid of allowing a rooster to teach a lesson to my dog. Roosters can do some serious damage.

Back
Top Bottom