This is a fun thread :lol: I love English Orpingtons (my favorite breed in the whole world), but agree about the hatchery buff ones. I have a couple of these fluff balls:

View attachment 3124536

and it's a little annoying when people look at them and say "OMG your Buff Orpingtons are gorgeous!" or when I post a picture somewhere and somebody asks what breed that is, and before I have a chance to respond on my own post, somebody else jumps in thinking they know better, and says "it's a Light Buff Orpington"... um WHAT. It's not a buff, and since when are there light ones and dark ones? 🙄😄
She's pretty!

I accidentally stopped getting notifications for this thread but it cracks me up to read. I will say though... I think I may have a new least favorite hatchery Orp... The lavenders bother me so much. They have the same awful body type as the buffs plus the shredder gene 🤢🤮 No thanks!!
I've noticed that Lavender Orpingtons are getting quite popular (from starting out being rare not too long ago), so of course they're being mass-produced now, at the expense of quality.

I never cared for that color in particular, but ended up with a clutch of Lavender Orp eggs this year anyway. It's hard to find English within driving distance of me (I'm so done with shipped eggs), and that was the only color available at the time. So I decided to give them a try. We'll see how they turn out. The breeder's birds are beautiful, full and fluffy like they're supposed to be. Here's a picture from her website (Oceanside Orpingtons in MA):

1653613745154.png

I accidentally stopped getting notifications for this thread but it cracks me up to read. I will say though... I think I may have a new least favorite hatchery Orp... The lavenders bother me so much. They have the same awful body type as the buffs plus the shredder gene 🤢🤮 No thanks!!
I don't really like lavenders. I love the color, but that shredder gene just makes them look horrible. Some good quality Lavender English Orps without the shredder gene would be beautiful though.

I've noticed that Lavender Orpingtons are getting quite popular (from starting out being rare not too long ago), so of course they're being mass-produced now, at the expense of quality.

I never cared for that color in particular, but ended up with a clutch of Lavender Orp eggs this year anyway. It's hard to find English within driving distance of me (I'm so done with shipped eggs), and that was the only color available at the time. So I decided to give them a try. We'll see how they turn out. The breeder's birds are beautiful, full and fluffy like they're supposed to be. Here's a picture from her website (Oceanside Orpingtons in MA):

View attachment 3125110
Now SHE is pretty. I'm not the biggest fan of the color either but with that quality, she's absolutely gorgeous! I'm an English Orpington fan though, so about any color I would love 😍

I don't really like lavenders. I love the color, but that shredder gene just makes them look horrible. Some good quality Lavender English Orps without the shredder gene would be beautiful though.
I like the lavender gene in mixed varieties or when it's done properly without shredding like UK Wyandottes. Apparently they've been able to eliminate shredding completely. I have to say, lavender columbian is one of my favorite colors though!
51D4BF64-8B7B-4AF7-B76E-B62F23A91EFE.jpeg

Now SHE is pretty. I'm not the biggest fan of the color either but with that quality, she's absolutely gorgeous! I'm an English Orpington fan though, so about any color I would love 😍
I love them in any color, too. This breeder is experimenting and coming up with her own colors. They look pretty cool, check them out:

https://www.oceansideorpingtons.com/

Back
Top Bottom