The lack of visible face is the main reason why I don't like Silkies or Polish :oops:

Silkies are the one breed where I'd much rather get a crappy hatchery bird with little or no crest than a show quality one with no face. There ain't any fixing Polish, though, hatchery or show quality. 😬
We've already revealed we're the same person, you don't have to pretend to have a different opinion than your second account anymore. 🤚

Some reasons you all should not be Buff Orpington lovers even if you don't hate buff orps..

1. They're over-rated.
One of the most common colors and breed of chicken. Boring if you ask me. Why not get something more unique?
Orpingtons a decent dual purpose breed. They lay eggs and can be raised for meat. That's about all. There are many other breeds out there that not only hold the same good qualities often associated with the orpington (and are even better for eggs or meat) but they also look much better than an American buff orpington.

2. Being the color buff does not effect anything but the color.
Many buff orp lovers will treat the color "buff" as though buff is the breed.
There are no added pros, you can get all the same qualities with any other color orpington. This is one of my biggest problems. People always recommend "buff" orpingtons, leading others to believe only buff colored orpingtons are friendly and lay well. Color is simply a personal preference and doesn't actaully add anything to the breed.
Just like how a black Ford f150 is going to be the same as a yellow f150.

3. Most of the people who love buff orpingtons are talking about these, an awful representation of the breed and the buff color makes it worse 🤢 (American hatchery orps)
1658949671155.png

And not these.. (English Orpingtons)
This is what the breed is supposed to look like. Notice the fluff.
1658949770869.png

4. The color buff, especially on orpingtons (and even worse, on hatchery orps) looks like barf.
Even hatchery orpingtons look better when they aren't buff
1658951025437.png

5. All the other things people love about their buff orpingtons comes down to the individual.
Just because your buff orpington Besty is nice doesn't mean all orpingtons that are buff are going to be that way. You can get the same friendless in any other color or breed. And there are just as many mean buff orpingtons are there are sweet ones.

Just to make things clear, I love Orpingtons. They're one of my favorite breeds. But American hatchery quality buff orpingtons just ain't it. Nothing personal, I'm sure there's plenty who's personality I'd love, but they just look ugly.
English Orpingtons (like this one) are much better and make me hate buff hatchery orps even more :)
1658951702816.png

The lack of visible face is the main reason why I don't like Silkies or Polish :oops:

Silkies are the one breed where I'd much rather get a crappy hatchery bird with little or no crest than a show quality one with no face. There ain't any fixing Polish, though, hatchery or show quality. 😬
You don’t like any Polish? None at all?
924C22EA-C581-44E8-BE23-35AEAA186842.jpeg

They are cute as babies, yes, but once they grow up, they have no face. 😟 I just like seeing my birds' faces without having to modify their looks in order to do so.

They are cute as babies, yes, but once they grow up, they have no face. 😟 I just like seeing my birds' faces without having to modify their looks in order to do so.
Mine chase me around! I don’t know how they would do that without faces... they are strange birds.

My favorite had a cute face with giant eyes.
AC70FBC2-E729-420B-9311-877412DCD27C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom