Pics
I agree though with the dislike of hatchery Buff Orpingtons, although I adore the English ones. They're such a deviation from what the English or American lines should look like. It's so sad to me that the same process is happening to the lavenders as well. Scrawny birds lacking in the defining characteristics of Orpingtons. The naming thing is also annoying, it's the same deal with Barred Rocks. They group the variety/breed together in their minds, not understanding that it is just a breed and it's variety is a secondary characteristic.

I agree though with the dislike of hatchery Buff Orpingtons, although I adore the English ones. They're such a deviation from what the English or American lines should look like. It's so sad to me that the same process is happening to the lavenders as well. Scrawny birds lacking in the defining characteristics of Orpingtons. The naming thing is also annoying, it's the same deal with Barred Rocks. They group the variety/breed together in their minds, not understanding that it is just a breed and it's variety is a secondary characteristic.
My thoughts exactly.

Scrawny? My buffs are naturally fat

Scrawny? My buffs are naturally fat
Compared to the standard, hatchery Orpingtons are much smaller and have much less fluff. They are designed to mature quickly and lay lots of eggs for breeding. Perhaps chunkier than other hatchery breeds, but not like what the standards call for, especially in comparison to English Orps. Here was my English Orp male (not buff, but comparable body type) at only five months. In comparison, hatchery birds look scrawny to me.
5C2140CF-DDD4-4C10-A575-886EE9972B6D.jpeg

Compared to the standard, hatchery Orpingtons are much smaller and have much less fluff. They are designed to mature quickly and lay lots of eggs for breeding. Perhaps chunkier than other hatchery breeds, but not like what the standards call for, especially in comparison to English Orps. Here was my English Orp male (not buff, but comparable body type) at only five months. In comparison, hatchery birds look scrawny to me.
View attachment 2623624
that dude looks like a cochin

it's the same deal with Barred Rocks. They group the variety/breed together in their minds, not understanding that it is just a breed and it's variety is a secondary characteristic.

Nothing quite gets my eye twitching as much as "Plymouth Barred Rock". It's like saying "Orping Buff Ton" or "Amerau Wheaten Cana" .

Barred is the variety.

Plymouth Rock is the breed.

Barred Plymouth Rock.

It is not complicated.

What also drives me up a wall as well is "Mille Fleurs" being used as a breed name for D'Uccles 😳😳 So egregious

The hard part about those is pronouncing d'Uccle properly. 🤣 Maybe that's why it keeps getting left off!

Last edited:
Nothing quite gets my eye twitching as much as "Plymouth Barred Rock". It's like saying "Orping Buff Ton" or "Amerau Wheaten Cana" .

Barred is the variety.

Plymouth Rock is the breed.

Barred Plymouth Rock.

It is not complicated.

The hard part about those is pronouncing d'Uccle properly. 🤣
More like Plymouth Rock comma Barred 🤣

Back
Top Bottom