The lack of visible face is the main reason why I don't like Silkies or Polish :oops:

Silkies are the one breed where I'd much rather get a crappy hatchery bird with little or no crest than a show quality one with no face. There ain't any fixing Polish, though, hatchery or show quality. 😬
UK silkies are non-bearded and has slightly smaller crests, so their faces are quite clear.

1656774548208.jpeg

My complaints about Buff Orpingtons:
Okay, I'm just gonna see how I feel about buff orps based on how I feel about yoir complaints, Emma. Then I will see if I'll stay on this thread
Solid Buff is UGLY. Not just on Orps. But on all breeds in general.
Yes, not my favourite colour, I've never said that I wanted a solid buff bird before, most other colours are nice. I like buff laced.
An english orpington which is buff might be acceptable, but black and shiny is lovely on an engkish orp.
I HATE when people call their Buff Orpingtons “buffs“ “buffies” “buff” “Buffy” etc... Orpingtons aren’t the only breeds that come in buff you know. :rolleyes:
This is also a pet peeve of mine. I may as well just start calling my birds "blacks" or "whites" otherwise
I HATE HATE HATE. When people are looking for breed recommendation and people say “Buff Orpingtons” why not just say “Orpington?” The color doesn’t change the breed you know.
This is annoying... Same with Black Australorps.
The common hatchery Orps have ZERO fluff. Orpingtons are suppose to be a fluffy breed but instead you get skinny non fluffy things that look like this 🤮: View attachment 2577065
This is an ok looking chicken. But it's not an orpington.
They are way overrated. Too much hype for what most people call “Buff Orps“ are really just hatchery production birds far from what an actual Orpington should be.
Many breeds are better... Cochins, d'uccles, even sussexes! Cochins and d'uccles are friendly and cute, sussexes are good at laying and are friendly!
People keep spamming photos of their BOs trying to convince me to like them which makes me despise them more. :)
This happens to me irl sometimes. I say I don't like something and people say "but what about.."
Ooohhhhh yes that has 100% changed my mind!
When people call them a “breed.” “Buff orpingtons are my favorite breed!” No, orpingtons are your favorite breed, buff is your favorite variety. You won’t hear me saying “Crele Bantam cochins are my favorite breed!”
People do this with d'uccles too. "Mille fleur d'uccles are a very cute breed..." No, d'uccles are a cute breed, whether or not they are mille fleur or porcalain, etc!
Their primary #1 fans are young children who get offended when people do not like the look of their favorite bird.
This one was added recently, yes?

UK silkies are non-bearded and has slightly smaller crests, so their faces are quite clear.

1656774548208.jpeg

UK Silkies >>> US Silkies

The ones I have are non-bearded as well. One was from a show line and was a cull for being clean-faced, though, so he has imparted larger crests on some of his children, which is not my preference.

His Silkie x silkied Cochin grandchildren are perfect, though. :love

Peanut Butter hacd hug.jpg

I prefer bearded chickens, like my favs here-
View attachment 3202589
But I have to admit even the non-beareded ones are cute
View attachment 3202590

Beards without crests are quite adorable. :love Beards with large crests, faceless and unappealing to me. :( The ideal of both worlds is the Brabanter; cute beard plus punk-rock Spitzhauben crest. 🤭

1659015507129.png

Back
Top Bottom