Hmmm. This is so entertaining šŸ˜‚ Iā€™m a buff orpington lover, but I donā€™t judge yā€™all at all. Yā€™all got your way of looking at things and Iā€™ve got mine. I think itā€™s great. I just wanted to say Iā€™ve got no hard feelings towards ya, and love reading your posts and reasonings.

7B00F195-96C9-49DB-9125-A45201EC22AA.png

Nope, even Ameraucanas I can't do. It's silkies I'm okay with.

Ahh, that's right! Whoops!

However if I had to choose between buff Ameraucanas vs something else I'd probably choose the Ameraucanas because they have floofy beards and lay pretty eggs, not to mention their incredible personality

I can agree with this, but I'd much, much rather not have any breed in solid Buff. šŸ¤­

Also, hey! :frow I'd just been thinking of bumping this thread up to ask you how ol Barfy's been doing these days.

I can never really decide if I like buff orps or not. I have two, and they are very fluffy headed, and don't seem the most intelligent, but they are very good mothers, and when first one and then other went broody they raised the chicks together.
I do much prefer my cuckoo orp though, and luckily we don't seem to get *hatchery* orps here. (well we do, kind of, but they are still very floofy, just not the best type)

This is an interesting thread šŸ˜…
I have no experience nor opinion on Orpingtons, but I've got to say of the pictures I've seen the buff colour is so light! I have Buff Sussex and love the colour.

Hmm, that wouldn't be too hard to accomplish, I'd think. Buff laced in other breeds is genetically gold laced with dominant white covering the black part of the lacing. Gold laced already exists in Orpingtons, but I'm pretty sure that White Orps are recessive white, so you would have to outcross to another breed to introduce the dominant white gene, which would risk introducing other fun things like the wrong skin color and funky type... But it's certainly doable given enough time and patience.

Editing, I've just remembered through responding to another thread that some Buff Orpingtons carry a copy of dominant white, so using one of those individuals would make things a bit easier as far as type and skin color and such would go... šŸ¤” But then you'd have to own a Buff Orpington, so there's the trade off. šŸ˜¬

Last edited:
Ahh, that's right! Whoops!

I can agree with this, but I'd much, much rather not have any breed in solid Buff. šŸ¤­

Also, hey! :frow I'd just been thinking of bumping this thread up to ask you how ol Barfy's been doing these days.
She's doing good. Molting right now, and not very friendly.

Though Dino Nugget is wooing her, so I gotta like her for that.

20221206_145147.jpg

Back
Top Bottom