Archer123

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2018
Hertfordshire, UK
Hi,
I think my Orpington is poorly. She's had runny poo for about a week now (mainly light brown in colour) and has now started sneezing. She's lost weight and I don't think she's eating much of the layers pellets as her ceop is still feeling quite soft at the end of the day. She's definitely too thin as her keel is protruding. That said, when I put down corn, mealworms, veggies, etc she seems to really enjoy eating them. She seems ok in herself, her comb is red, she forages happily during the day and she has been laying although no eggs for 2 days and they've always been very small for her size. She's around 6 months old and has been laying for about 3 weeks. They live in a wooden coop with chopped straw bedding. The run has bark chippings on the floor. She has no mites or lice. I'm currently worming them all on verm-x in their water. I've tried putting her in a ceate in my house over night so I can make sure she was eating and drinking and she seemed to be ok. I've also been washing her bottom in warm water a couple of times a week to clean her feathers as her skin always looking red but think that's where she's lost feathers from the poo being on there. My neighbour has about 35 chickens and she's had a look at her and says she doesn't seem to be egg bound. I don't know what else to do. I was hoping I could treat her myself but it's been going on a while now so not sure what else to do...can anyone help? I can't sleep for thinking about her. P.s. my Silkie has also started sneezing yesterday :(

Is it a continuous sneeze or it only after eating and drinking? I had a rooster once that would sneeze because he ate too fast. The food went down the wrong pipe. If the hen doesn't seem to be acting differently or is having any strange looks, she might be just going through a phase.

Hi, thanks for the reply. It doesn't seem to be after eating or drinking it's just at random and it's never happened before. The sneezing started about 4 or 5 days ago. Slightly worried that one of my other hens has started now as well. Their behaviour seems normal but the weight loss bothers me.

Back
Top Bottom