*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Anybody ever had a chicken with a protruding intestines? Took her to the vet who thought she might have coccidiosis(?) but the fecal sample came back clean with no diseases of any kind in my BOs. They wanted to euthanize her but I just couldn't. Vet put her on an antibiotic since the maggots got up inside her and there was infection. Also on some pain medication. Anybody have any other advice? They told me to push her intestines back in twice a day and I do that and then hold paper towels there to keep in in as long as possible. She's been absolutely wonderful through all this. Love my Buff Orpingtons. Never had chickens as sweet and docile as these. She takes her pain medication with no fuss and the antibiotics are in her water. Any ideas how this could have happened or any other things I can do for her. Her name is Gertrude.

we call that a blowout im not sure what causes it but we always euthanized ours hope yours gets better but i didnt know there was a treatment.
hugs.gif
fl.gif

Wow and double wow. Found an extremely huge egg this morning. It's gigantic, especially compared along side the other eggs my hens have been laying. I hope the size of this egg is a foretaste of what's to com. I think this egg is from the hen that started laying first at 22 weeks. They're almost 26 weeks this coming Wednesday.

Update on Gertrude with the blowout. She is much better and the Preparation H seems to be doing a good job. The vet wants to see her this week and talked about putting a couple of stitches back there to hold it in. Don't know if this will curtail her egg laying but that's alright. The others are doing fine at this and I've got eggs coming out the whazoo right now.

To God be the glory in all things.

Hello, I am looking for one or two Buff Orpington pullets - will be at the Cobleskill fair Sunday 29 - please reply if you might know of someone there who might have one for sale.

Do chickens suddenly get tamer when they start to lay
Something you need to keep in mind is that these are chickens, not puppies or kittens. Many never get to the point of tameness you seem to want already, regardless of breed. You'll have the most luck if you get one as a baby chick and raise it all the way to adulthood of having a super tame one. But even that isn't guaranteed.

They are prey animals, and understandably skittish. Forcing yourself on them is likely to cause them to "fight back."

For a cuddly critter, a kitten or puppy would work better.

Wow and double wow. Found an extremely huge egg this morning. It's gigantic, especially compared along side the other eggs my hens have been laying. I hope the size of this egg is a foretaste of what's to com. I think this egg is from the hen that started laying first at 22 weeks. They're almost 26 weeks this coming Wednesday.

Update on Gertrude with the blowout. She is much better and the Preparation H seems to be doing a good job. The vet wants to see her this week and talked about putting a couple of stitches back there to hold it in. Don't know if this will curtail her egg laying but that's alright. The others are doing fine at this and I've got eggs coming out the whazoo right now.

To God be the glory in all things.
I don;'t know if your vet is a chicken doc or not, but I would not suture her closed for any reason.You might put everything into place with the Prep. H, and tape her vent PARTIALLY closed over night. NO sutures.Remove it in the morning, and see. The poor girl has to be able to poop !

Last edited:
Sorry this is a bit off topic but I have a new hamster and I don't know what to called it. It is a boy and is gingery brown and white
Any suggestions for names

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom