*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by andrew6d9, Apr 30, 2011.

1. RoosterLew

RoosterLew Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Coffeyville, Ks
    This is the exact reason I am so glad to have moved out of town! We had the same thing, a large supposedly "aggressive" bred dog that can sclae a 6 foot wall...And our city passed an ordinance against dogs on chains!
  2. jubilation

jubilation Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2013
    Chino Valley, Arizona
    I don't live in town. I live way out in the country on 10 acres since we do horse rescue and we have other farm animals. My neighbor in way across the road on about 5 acres so our community is basically 5 and 10 acre parcels so the houses are far apart.
  3. FuzzyButtz

FuzzyButtz Chillin' With My Peeps

That's a total shame. I lost 2 of my favourite chickens this summer to do my own dog, and a few to Coyotes (I too live on a farm). I guess it just comes with the territory.. it's something we all expect is possible, as chicken owners.
  4. smudge

smudge Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    While I appreciate that she is upset... It doesn't undo what her pets have done.

If she is not willing to make the investment (time or $) to contain the animals she has, then some of the dogs should be rehomed.

I hope you find your roo eventually, spooked and nothing more worse for wear. It's a long shot, but one can hope. I'm assuming it's the one in your avatar? [​IMG]
  5. thedragonlady

thedragonlady Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2012
    Hot wire fencing will stop dogs, and is cheap to install and run.
    1 person likes this.
  6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    People are too quick to defend dogs. They are predators, it's against the law in most cities and even the countryside to have them loose, yet officers and everyone else seem to side with the dog. Aw gee they are sorry but that doesn't get you your birds back. Ever.
    1 person likes this.
  7. maryhysong

maryhysong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    I agree. Have lost nearly $1000 worth of birds over the years and not a single penny for them. Most of the time the dogs have no tags and ownership cannot be traced. Call me a cold hearted B. but these days loose dogs don't leave my property.
  8. maryhysong

maryhysong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    lol. I wish. I can't hardly get rid of them in my town. Except right at hatch when they are little and cute. I do beleive that they are on the ALBC list in that there are less than so many breeders in the US with a breeding flock of 50 or more. They are great ducks tho, the girls are good layers, the boys are really pretty and weigh enough for at least a decent meal. Also very easy to incubate; I had several 100% hatches. In fact I have about 7 boys headed to freezer camp real soon.
  9. chickadee5002

chickadee5002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2013
    Perrysville, OH

10. bhj123

bhj123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2013
    I'm so glad to hear that some people actually think the way I do.
    I don't have dogs get my chickens It's always coyotes or foxes. Are they protected? I don't care. They're on my property, attacking my chickens, and I will shoot them and act as if they were never there.
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by