*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Picture of my two buff orpington roosters a month or so old.

Here are the handsome boys probably about three months old, picture was taken days before something got ahold of two of my roosters and one hen.

Here is my remaining buff orpington rooster and his two remaining hens... Its a sad thought but he takes good care of his hens.

I had my own two dogs break into my chicken run during the night and kill over 30 of my birds. When I went out to feed them the next morning and saw all the dead birds everywhere I was hysterical and called my DH to tell him what happened! I wanted to shoot my dogs but knew my DH would be very upset if I did since they are his dogs!

I had my own two dogs break into my chicken run during the night and kill over 30 of my birds. When I went out to feed them the next morning and saw all the dead birds everywhere I was hysterical and called my DH to tell him what happened! I wanted to shoot my dogs but knew my DH would be very upset if I did since they are his dogs!
If he is the owner. He should get you new hens.

There are people that do indeed shoot their own dogs if they kill chickens. Unfortunately I hear about people's own dogs killing their birds at least as much as I hear about someone else's dogs doing it.

There are people that do indeed shoot their own dogs if they kill chickens. Unfortunately I hear about people's own dogs killing their birds at least as much as I hear about someone else's dogs doing it.
I had a nightmare a few days ago about my Cocker Spaniel eating one of my baby chicks. It is a horrible thought. However I would not kill my dog if he did. I would Kick his *** but not kill him. He was a member of our family first and although I love my chickens-I love my dog more.

That being said-I was considering getting another dog but decided against it because I didn't want to risk my chickens to another dog. Also, some people rely heavily on the poultry for money and food and their circumstances are different because that is their livelyhood.

I had a nightmare a few days ago about my Cocker Spaniel eating one of my baby chicks. It is a horrible thought. However I would not kill my dog if he did. I would Kick his *** but not kill him. He was a member of our family first and although I love my chickens-I love my dog more.

That being said-I was considering getting another dog but decided against it because I didn't want to risk my chickens to another dog. Also, some people rely heavily on the poultry for money and food and their circumstances are different because that is their livelyhood.
And you have just revealed exactly why people have their own dogs kill their chickens more than other dogs. Because they love their own dogs more than the chickens they just killed. Be prepared for more kills. But at least protect the chickens better. This too is why most folks side with dogs whether they know the dog or not. People just like dogs in general more than they do chickens. So no matter what or who those dogs killed, it's just ok in the dog lover's mind.

I don't know why this has gotten so hateful.
I have dogs and even though they are not mine (they belong to my roommates) I wouldn't harm them because they killed my chickens.
Now I LOVE my chickens more than anyone's dog, but you have to take into consideration the nature of the animals themselves.
As much as I hate to say it, chickens will never be as smart, as big, as fast as dogs are. That's a fact. They are just birds who, despite being loving and sometimes (in our opinion) a much better companion, they will never be able to compete with dogs. It's the circle of life. Dogs will always kill and eat chickens. It's in their nature.
The chickens I have are my babies. All 24 of them. I love them, protect them, and care for them. I will continue to do so until the day I die.
Could I humbly suggest we return to loving this amazing breed, the Buff Orpington?

I don't know why this has gotten so hateful.
I have dogs and even though they are not mine (they belong to my roommates) I wouldn't harm them because they killed my chickens.
Now I LOVE my chickens more than anyone's dog, but you have to take into consideration the nature of the animals themselves.
As much as I hate to say it, chickens will never be as smart, as big, as fast as dogs are. That's a fact. They are just birds who, despite being loving and sometimes (in our opinion) a much better companion, they will never be able to compete with dogs. It's the circle of life. Dogs will always kill and eat chickens. It's in their nature.
The chickens I have are my babies. All 24 of them. I love them, protect them, and care for them. I will continue to do so until the day I die.
Could I humbly suggest we return to loving this amazing breed, the Buff Orpington?
Ditto! If my dog attacked my chickens, it wouldn't be the dogs fault. It would be mine for not predator proofing appropriately or keeping my dog in control.

BTW, orpingtons rock. Back to that topic.

Back
Top Bottom