*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Franklin!

I now have 7 of these. Buff Orpingtons being raised in South Carolina. It is 98 degrees here, but I guess the chicks like the heat.
The place I bought them from said that 6 are female and I bought a male to go with them. They are about 4 days old.

SO my question is - how can they determine the sex while they are so young? I thought that you had to wait a while to know the sex but they had them grouped male & female - at 4 days old!?
This is a reputable Feed and Seed in town so I do not think that they would put me on, plus the straight run chicks were the same price (meaning that there is zero incentive to lie about the sexed ones)
The girl that sold them to me didn't know.
I am hoping that someone here does.

Thanks!

I now have 7 of these. Buff Orpingtons being raised in South Carolina. It is 98 degrees here, but I guess the chicks like the heat.
The place I bought them from said that 6 are female and I bought a male to go with them. They are about 4 days old.

SO my question is - how can they determine the sex while they are so young? I thought that you had to wait a while to know the sex but they had them grouped male & female - at 4 days old!?
This is a reputable Feed and Seed in town so I do not think that they would put me on, plus the straight run chicks were the same price (meaning that there is zero incentive to lie about the sexed ones)

Thanks!

I'm sure they were purchased from a hatchery where they were vent sexed at a day old.. :)

Thanks!

Are your chicks outside? Mine are almost 4 weeks and after about an hour outside their little beaks are hanging open!

I got mine last year during July. Mid-Summer heat makes outdoor brooding a breeze. Mine were even completely outside in the run at around 3weeks. Still had to put them in the coop at night, but they learned quickly that once that pop door opened, they had sunshine and dirt to play in.

The heat has been pretty bad, but mine have done ok. Fan in the coop window and one blowing across the run has helped. It at least keeps the air moving on these hot humid days when there is no breeze.

BTW @Foristers Welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Here are my 2 Orpington 6 week olds - hatchery stock so I hope they are both pullets. The Lavender had a very slow start, thought she wasn't going to make it during the first 3 days and has been the runt, in the past 2 weeks, she has caught up with the rest.
My Buff sure has some back!!

Back
Top Bottom