*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Pics
the Chicks will look yellow at hatch will have a buff color at adulthood and have shanked feathering, also carry a walnut comb, clear white skin

Hey Marvin nice to see you on here. I am currently crossing a White Orp cockerel onto some Buff pullets. I know this may vary the result a bit. I am trying to improve our APA Whites with the already built up Buff traits that do so well in our APA Shows. Coming out the chicks I have are white with a tinge of yellow to them. I will post a pic or two here in a few.
Also am working with an unusual marked Cuckoo cockerel onto some Buff Columbian looking birds. You may know more what I can expect. Here is the pics of these birds. Already have hatched one, she looks like a Cuckoo with some Buff on her hackles and top of her breast. Any predictions on how she will finish out buddy?

She has been well ridden by a White Orp cock. The offspring there looks like a White version of herself. Still way too young to know for sure. Just thought you would know as much as any on this site. Your a BYC gentics gift for us all to learn from!

Last edited:

I would like to do a follow up on this subject... I have being researching this cross for quite a long time for genetic reasons that may not apply on this orpington forum but none the less is a very learning experience into genetic theorists like myself.

the following cross rooster is name Bubba(and Kaput his sister but only shown as chick on this example) Bubba belongs to : The Chicken´s Maid. poster she/he was kind enough to post these birds for all of us to learn from it and I thank her for it.

Bubba as chick, he is yellow/cream at hatch just like any other eWh/eb cros chicks I´ve seen(white silkies are eb brown at the e locus)

Bubba days old with white silkie mother

Bubba as a young cockerel

and here is Bubba as a full grown Adult male showing all of his genetic glory and revealing to us(theorists) his genetic secrets....

Hey Marvin nice to see you on here. I am currently crossing a White Orp cockerel onto some Buff pullets. I know this may vary the result a bit. I am trying to improve our APA Whites with the already built up Buff traits that do so well in our APA Shows. Coming out the chicks I have are white with a tinge of yellow to them. I will post a pic or two here in a few.
Also am working with an unusual marked Cuckoo cockerel onto some Buff Columbian looking birds. You may know more what I can expect. Here is the pics of these birds. Already have hatched one, she looks like a Cuckoo with some Buff on her hackles and top of her breast. Any predictions on how she will finish out buddy?

She has been well ridden by a White Orp cock. The offspring there looks like a White version of herself. Still way too young to know for sure. Just thought you would know as much as any on this site. Your a BYC gentics gift for us all to learn from!

the white/cream chicks are wheaten based, thats how most wheaten chicks look at hatch. unless they are dominant white, only time will tell...

now the Unusually marked cuckoo male is a E/eWh cross male looks like, he is also a silver heterozygote meaning it has one copy of Silver and one copy of gold thats why he has the yellow saddle and hackle colors, if mated to buff columbian females you have chances of hatching silver columbian females(barred and none barred) and gold columbian females(barred and none barred) Gold columbian roosters(barred and none barred) Golden columbian rooster(S/s+ like dad) that will look like silver columbian(barred and none barred) upto adulthood when they start showing the yellow lemon color of such S/s+ male cross. you will also be hatching black chicks, barred and none barred... thats alot of genotypes and phenotypes so if you want any of the posted phenotypes(looks of birds) you would have to hatch at least 50 chicks..

now to the females you posted..

they look to be eb(brown) heterozygotes showing only one copy of Columbian restrictor, so they are not completely restricted..

Question is the white Buff orps recessive white or dominant white?

the white/cream chicks are wheaten based, thats how most wheaten chicks look at hatch. unless they are dominant white, only time will tell...

now the Unusually marked cuckoo male is a E/eWh cross male looks like, he is also a silver heterozygote meaning it has one copy of Silver and one copy of gold thats why he has the yellow saddle and hackle colors, if mated to buff columbian females you have chances of hatching silver columbian females(barred and none barred) and gold columbian females(barred and none barred) Gold columbian roosters(barred and none barred) Golden columbian rooster(S/s+ like dad) that will look like silver columbian(barred and none barred) upto adulthood when they start showing the yellow lemon color of such S/s+ male cross. you will also be hatching black chicks, barred and none barred... thats alot of genotypes and phenotypes so if you want any of the posted phenotypes(looks of birds) you would have to hatch at least 50 chicks..

now to the females you posted..

they look to be eb(brown) heterozygotes showing only one copy of Columbian restrictor, so they are not completely restricted..

Question is the white Buff orps recessive white or dominant white?

The White Buff chicks have in their history, Black, Buff and White on one side of the White cockerel and MAYBE White Wyandotte that has some White Rock on the otherside of his line. The White cock side is from a guy in PA who used an Alan Ammarell line White cock. Alan told me he bounces his Orp varieties off each other to keep his vigor healthy. The White cock that was first to breed to the Columbian looking pullets is from a pure line of Whites that has been line breed for 20 plus years. He is not even related to the White cockerel. I just got him in November. That line is from a fella Cecil Moore. Now, what Cecil did god only knows. Cecil just passed last year. I believe they may have Black in them. Do not think it matters to know if it is dom or recessive White gene. like you said Marvin, just have to wait and see. I will be happy to share.

Please do so, as I learn alot from your posts

For sure Marvin. I am helping quality Australorp breeders from Australia learn how I built some of my Aussie looking birds by using an Exhibition line Buff Orp to a hatchery messed up Black Australorp/Ameraucana cock.

One said:
"You are either 'Lucky Bill' or 'Brilliant Bill'! I'd claim both, mate.
Cheers Geoff"

Last edited:
no offense but that's plan mean why would you want to kill chickens
hit.gif
somad.gif
??!!!

We butcher some of our chickens when needed. If tjey dont lay eggs well or jerk roosters they become dinner:) no sense in feeding a bird if it doesnt earn its keep! Have never had to cull my buffs tho, tjey earn their keep well!

We butcher some of our chickens when needed. If tjey dont lay eggs well or jerk roosters they become dinner:) no sense in feeding a bird if it doesnt earn its keep! Have never had to cull my buffs tho, tjey earn their keep well!

I am a Buff type of guy. Last season I hatched out 20 from my Buff hen in my avatar with my $20 Akers cock. I only have culled one for wry tail. I still have 10 cockerels and all the pullets. I hatched out 4 eggs from Doug. 3 cockerels one pullet. I kept em all. I know the feeling.

Back
Top Bottom