*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Pics
How many chicks can a BO girl comfortably take care of? I am getting ~20 chicks next week and have a broody girl. Would 10-12 be a good number for her first? I am prepared to bring them in and raise them myself if she won't take them. I just don't want to give her more than she can handle.

ASKING FOR HELP!!!!!
A Husky got into my chicken yard on Saturday and killed 4 of my lovely birds! Seriously maimed another 2! One may not make it. The dog killed them right in front of me while I tried to catch it. Thank god I was home and caught it or I would have lost them all. Very upsetting both to myself and my poor remaining birds, so sad. Never thought I'd cry over dead chickens but I was sobbing like a child when I was burying them.

Here is my problem; the Dog Officer says I need to come up with a dollar amount for restitution. Let me say 1st and foremost I am NOT wanting to be greedy here - I would MUCH rather have my birds back! That said, and on his recommendation; I do wish to kind of "hit them where it hurts" so they will be motivated to keep their dog from doing this again. They live down the street from me and I know how Huskies like to run... I am VERY worried it will happen again, the dog had way too much "fun".

I lost and extra large blue egg laying Egger and 3 Lovely Buff Orpingtons - could have been my hen from Jim Hall's line if I hadn't just locked her up tight in my broody house just 2 nights before! - again, I have a LOT to be thankful for! If she had been out, she's so big and slow, she definitely would have been one of the victims... Phew!!

As it is 2 of the dead birds were proven broody moms for me, (I use hens not incubators so they were especially valuable to me, and hard to replace), one was in fact just going broody and I would probably have been setting her on eggs next week if she hadn't had her spine bitten in 2, so very devastating, I had to put her down. So this dog has not only shrunk my gene pool by 3 birds but also stolen this years potential chicks they would have raised as well.

What I need is for someone to write me up a thing of SOP Buff Orpingtons for sale. I figure $50 per bird will be enough for these people to keep their dog in check? Like I said I do not want to be greedy or break the bank, just make it cost enough so that it doesn't happen again. Had it been my best Orps they are probably worth even more than that but thankfully it wasn't.

Any assistance anyone can offer me in this matter will be so greatly appreciated!

THANK YOU!

Believe me, I was sorely tempted to put that dog down myself right then and there! But in reality, while it thought chicken killing was great sport, it really wasn't a "bad" dog. At one point I grabbed it hard by the fur and dragged it out from under one of my quail pens, knowing it could easily turn and sink it's teeth into my arm (I was thinking "just give me a reason dog!") but it never even thought about biting me...

Believe me, I was sorely tempted to put that dog down myself right then and there! But in reality, while it thought chicken killing was great sport, it really wasn't a "bad" dog. At one point I grabbed it hard by the fur and dragged it out from under one of my quail pens, knowing it could easily turn and sink it's teeth into my arm (I was thinking "just give me a reason dog!") but it never even thought about biting me...
If I were you, there would be hot wire around the chicken yard tomorrow. The Husky will be back, if not another dog.

Believe me, I was sorely tempted to put that dog down myself right then and there!  But in reality, while it thought chicken killing was great sport, it really wasn't a "bad" dog.  At one point I grabbed it hard by the fur and dragged it out from under one of my quail pens, knowing it could easily turn and sink it's teeth into my arm (I was thinking "just give me a reason dog!") but it never even thought about biting me...

If I were you, there would be hot wire around the chicken yard tomorrow. The Husky will be back, if not another dog.
Same here. In fact I have electric netting now, and in a fence.

Yes, installing a solar powered hot wire all along my existing fence is my plan. I am hoping to use the restitution money to buy it. Though I have to figure out how to do it, my fence runs through a lot of woods, some of my "fence posts" are big pine trees my fence is nailed to, some of my fence is 3 feet and some is 6, not sure how I will support the wire above my fence properly in a lot of spots... Wish I could just fence my whole property 6 feet high!

Back
Top Bottom