Buff orpingtons? Buff Rock? Mixed?

thomas26

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 12, 2013
Ok so I purchased 10 what were supposed to be buff orpingtons earlier this year. As they grew i noticed 3 had white legs and the rest had yellow. i know that Buff orpingons have white legs, and buff rocks have yellow. What i don't get is, did they come from the same clutch? is it possible that they are mixed breeds of orpington and rock but only 3 have orpington characteristics and the rest have rock characteristics. I can see a definite difference in the rock and orp rooster, but the hens look very similar

I purchased them privately from a farmer

If you purchased them from a private breeder who doesn't breed to the standard of perfection, you're likely to get anything. All it probably took was one yellow legged bird in the mix a few generations back, and if he didn't cull the yellow legged birds, well, there ya go.

If you purchased them from a private breeder who doesn't breed to the standard of perfection, you're likely to get anything. All it probably took was one yellow legged bird in the mix a few generations back, and if he didn't cull the yellow legged birds, well, there ya go.
X2

X3, not all Buff Orpingtons have white legs (though to be show quality, they have to have white legs).

Back
Top Bottom