Buff Orpingtons Laying Age

Buffman

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 2, 2012
I have three Buff Orpingtons that are twenty seven weeks old but no eggs yet. What am I doing wrong?

That does seem a little late for the onset of laying? Can you tell us more about their situation? Do they free-range? If so, it is possible they have a hidden nest somewhere and that is why you are not seeing eggs yet. What and how much do you feed them? Any chance they have parasites like mites or lice that are affecting their ability to lay?

Lock them up in the coop for a few days. They won't like it, but you'll get a better idea of who's laying and who's not.

If they're really not laying, what feed are they getting? How much light are they exposed to? The coming winter should not have affected their patterns when they came of age, but low light levels will push them to wait. Otherwise I'd look them over for any signs of health problems.

I let them have a supervised free range each day for about two hours but I'm there 100% of the time watching them so I know they are not laying during this time. I feed them layer pellets from a feeder so they eat as much as they want. I give them a small handful of scratch each day but I don't think that would delay their laying. Only one of them has developed a comb and waddle. I know the days are getting much shorter but if this makes a difference I don't know. I do have straw in their run so I guess they could be hid in there. I have a nice nest with plastic eggs in their coop. I understand other breeds lay earlier than Buff Orpington. I've threaten them but to no luck. Not much to do but wait. Thanks for your response and help.

You'll just have to wait it out. I had one that took almost 11 months! But for me, 7 months or 28 weeks is the earliest most have started to lay. Orpingtons just take longer than the others usually.

Last edited:
My BO laid her first egg today!!! She was born April 4 - so that makes her 25 weeks old this week. She's filled out a lot in the past couple weeks, her comb turned red, and our rooster started doing his dance for her last week too. I have been anxiously awaiting that first egg. I was told with a BO, it could be 24 weeks at the earliest and up to 34 weeks...I hope it is soon for you and your girls!

You'll just have to wait it out. I had one that took almost 11 months! But for me, 7 months or 28 weeks is the earliest most have started to lay. Orpingtons just take longer than the others usually.

I want to clarify that the above was hatchery birds. This post was a year ago. I have since gotten some from a breeder and they are laying at 20-24 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom