Buff Orpingtons. Pullets or Roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dragonmorgan, Mar 26, 2012.

1. dragonmorgan

dragonmorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    I have 3 BOs that are 3 weeks old and Im pretty sure one is a roo and one is a pullet but one seems to be caught in between. Any help would be appreciated.

This is the one Im sure is a roo. Hes not skittish AT ALL and he has an obviously bigger comb and red wattles (or is it waddles?). He feathered up so fast I was hopin it was a pullet but itd be the roosteresty pullet ever lol.
    [​IMG]

This is the one Im sure is a pullet. Small comb and wattles.
    [​IMG]

This is the one I dont know about. The comb seems bigger than the pullets but smaller than the roos and the wattles are small too. Its also pretty skittish.
    [​IMG]

2. JosieChick

JosieChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Lyman, ME
    I would say 1 is a cockerel, 2 is a pullet and 3 is a cockerel. #3 has quite a bit of red wattle for a 3 week old pullet. [​IMG]

3. dragonmorgan

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    I was afraid of that. I was hopin that since the wattles were still light colored and not as big that it might still be a pullet. Out of my 17 chicks I already have 4 I suspect roos and 2 others Im not sure about. This makes 5 suspect roos. Grr.

4. Sailing Dede

Sailing Dede Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Bradwell-On-Sea
    I agree, cockerel, pullet, cockerel

5. jennylove21326

jennylove21326 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    Seneca, SC
    A little off topic, but I have one buff orpington and it is not this orange-ish....... Should I be concerned that I don't have a BO??

6. dragonmorgan

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    It could be my pics makin them look so orange. Mine are a lil lighter than the pics show (not much tho). U could always post a pic and ask

7. Just_Clucky84

Just_Clucky84 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Cockerel, pullet, cockerel

8. dragonmorgan

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    Well it looks unanimous. Buttercup is now just Butters lol. Thanks everyone. Im hopein in another week or 2 my brahmas will be old enough for me to post pics of them and get some gender guesses. Im hopin only one of them is a roo since i already have these 2 roos, one BR roo, and one mystery chick i suspect is a roo.

9. Angelwings

Angelwings Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    1 cockerel, 2 pullet, 3 cockerel

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I agree, cockerel - pullet - cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by