1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

buff rock breeders

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by hankster, Feb 20, 2012.

1. hankster

hankster New Egg

May 10, 2010
    I am constantly reading about all the wonderful breeders of so many varieties of chickens. Are there no breeders of large fowl buff rocks which I have found to be
    wonderful layers and docile to boot.

2. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    I know of one who has some here in NC, I have also seen talk of some bantams somewhere in VA or NC??

3. dgrn99

dgrn99 New Egg

Mar 3, 2012
    I'm new to chickens and getting ready to order soon. I wanted a couple of buff rocks because I love the color and all the info I read; seldom broody, friendly and docile as my 4 year daughter and I will be the primary care takers. Now I realize that McMurray has a 25 minimum order and that is the only hatchery I find that has buff rocks! So disappointed. I considered buff orpington but it says they are frequent brooders. I'm wanting a mix of a few different breeds, 10 total at most. Any suggestions of hatcheries with no minimum that carries buff rocks?
    I'm in KY by the way.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  4. hankster

hankster New Egg

May 10, 2010
    Got mine by getting part of a larger total order. You can order less than 25 from IDEAL, but I believe they are sold out of Plymouth Rocks till May. I would put my order in SOON, if you can wait till May to get them. Mine have been super layers, except for time out to molt.

1 person likes this.
  5. Ole Grumpy

Ole Grumpy New Egg

Aug 8, 2012
    I got all of mine from a local breeder for 3. each has chicks

6. belbotfarm

belbotfarm New Egg

Mar 28, 2013
    I have been had my eyes on this breed as well and found some on ebay tonight and won! I can't wait till I get the hatching eggs in the mail to put in my incubator..... Hope to have this breed and many more beautiful chicks in the future.... [​IMG]

7. dreamofglory

dreamofglory Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2013
    Hi I have both bantam and large fowl buff rocks. I have a pullet that won reserve breed at a local show.

8. maryhysong

maryhysong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    Capt. Jack and some of his girls a few months ago. Hatched June 2013 they about six months old in these pics. Jack weighed around 8 pounds at the time. They are from Tom Roebuck lines, hatched by Cindy Novick. (cbnovick here). desertmarcy also has two pair from this hatch. I am getting my pens set up to single mate this year for myself and my breeding partner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Trooper Man

Trooper Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2014
    Where can I get some like this for my dad?

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You should send Maryhysong a private message.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by