Buff Silkie Thread!

Your birds are GORGEOUS, Sundown! Very pretty!

So a question for all of the breeders- what do you do with all of your extra roos? I have a pen full of last year's culls that I want to sell before I start hatching again this season. There are seven cockerels and three pullets. I've tried pairing up the boys with the girls to sell, but no nibbles for that many of them. What do you do with all the boys?!

They are all about this size-
IMG_8516.jpg

Quote:
Thanks!
smile.png

Last September I took every one of my extra males to sell at the show I went to. Got rid of everything I took to sell. I think I took about 3-4 pairs and around 15 males. Everybody wanted males. I had one guy that came and took 2, came back and took 2 more. I also usually list on Cragislist. Any breeder males i'll list on bidbird, featherauction, or ovabid. I'm very picky with what I keep cockerel wise, so I usually end up with lots of males to get rid of.

Ooooooo... I hadn't though of 4H. That is a great idea!

Due to my crazy work schedule this year I haven't made it to any shows, Sundown.
sad.png
I have sold a few of them through BYC, but I find the boys so hard to move on. Some of these guys are really nice looking too. I've got one male/female pair listed on Featherauction (figured I had already tapped out the BYC crowd!). So far no bites though.
sad.png

THanks for the suggestions, y'all. I am itiching to start up this season's hatching but feel like I need to empty that silkie grow out pen first!

Thanks, I thought the roo in the auction photo looked too good to be true, and couldn't stop bidding. Boy, did I sweat it out until they hatched! Even from day one they looked pretty good to me. Looks like a two pullets, one roo trio too! WOOT!

Quote:
Honestly its so hard to sex silkies but once you have been in silkies long enough you just know BUT there can be those that fool you
wink.png

Ok Ive had them for 10 years now and most of the time I just wait till they crow. Thank you..

Back
Top Bottom