1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bug zapper breakfast

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kris10, Mar 13, 2007.

1. kris10

kris10 New Egg

Mar 13, 2007
    SE Kansas
    When my parents had chickens they found that everytime they'd use the bug zapper, the chickens would clean up the mess below. Before long my dad was leaving it on every night so that there'd be a big pile of fried bugs for the chickens every morning. They even learned what it sounded like when a bug hit so if we had it on earlier in the evening before they went to roost they'd all come running at the sound of a zap.

2. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Quote:It is like when I grab a shovel to work in the garden all the chickens come a running because they know there will be worms for them.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  3. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    That's neat.... I leave a small light on outside my coop. In the summer I'd take a tarp & wet the ground under the light & in the morning there'd be tons of crickets for the chickens [​IMG]

Miriam

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG] Great story. Makes me want to go buy a bug zapper!

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Kris, thats way too cute! I agree it makes you want to get a zapper! [​IMG]

bigzio

6. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Dec 26, 2006
    California - SF East Bay
    When I first got chickens I was so excited that they were eating up the bugs that I wanted to find a way to give them even more. I started to envision a UV light/Net/Vacuum combo that would snatch up tons of bugs for my ladies to dine on in the morning.

[​IMG]

7. kentucky jay

kentucky jay Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    KENTUCKY
    im gonna have to rigg a tarp or something under my bug zapper , never thought about the chickens eating the fried bugs !!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by