Bugs getting in duck food!

JNC

Songster
May 5, 2020
Kendallville Indiana, US
I’ve been noticing little bugs in my ducks food containers. I don’t think that the bugs are coming from the food bag but they are coming from outside after leaving the food out during the day so my ducks have food to eat. I end up throwing out the food which is making me waste too much food! Anyone know if the bugs are harmful? Why are they getting into the food? and what do i do to stop this from happening?

Yeah whenever is convenient for you is fine. Depending on the type of bug we may be able to find out more about it and if there’s any issues with them. More than likely, it’s probably harmless to your ducks. I get earwigs sneaking into my feed a lot and the chickens will just eat them.

Any idea what kind of bugs they are? Or can you post pics? There are lots of bugs that are fine for birds to eat, they would find them anyways foraging.
these are the bugs getting into the food
9699E687-D570-431F-BCA4-58AF3B366C03.jpeg

They don’t look like anything that would be dangerous to me. Ducks like bugs anyways, so they’ll probably eat them with the feed. I’ve heard that diatomaceous earth in feed can help reduce insects. It may help to move the feed as well, I’m not sure where you have it now but somewhere dry and clean would be ideal. Leaving less feed out at a time can also reduce waste if you do get too many bugs.

Back
Top Bottom