1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bugs on my birds, pic included! Please Help!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Diamante, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Diamante

Diamante Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Southwest, Ohio
    I have had these bugs on several of my birds including a chick, I sprayed them with manna pro Poultry protector, I think on tuesday. They seamed worse tonight, so I bathed the hen and will spray the hen and chick again here soon. I think these may have been the cause of my hen passing 2 weeks ago. They are mostly on the head and by the base of the tail from what I have noticed.

[​IMG]

2. skycladfaeielady

skycladfaeielady New Egg

May 19, 2009
    Coatesville, Indiana
    They look like Red Mites. :( Red Mites live in the cracks in wood of your coop. A good spraying with liquid Sevin will do the trick. Dust your birds & repeat the whole process in 10 days.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Those are lice, not mites. Treatment protocol is the same, though. Treat all your birds, treat their coop after removing all bedding, wait 10 days and do it all over again. Bugs are a nuisance, but not a big deal.

Good luck.

4. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    Great pictures of lice. I will print it for future reference.

5. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I've never seen lice that big! [​IMG]

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Yeah, they are pretty sizable. Easy enough to spot immediately. I wish mites were so easy to eyeball.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by