Build or Buy?

Thanks, Aunt Angus! :) She's 1890mm X 830mm & made from kiln dried fir wood & a green asphalt roof ~ a good size for a backyard coop. Perhaps a bit on the small size for the size chickens I have but they are happy so I am happy.

I should add we put in a wire floor ~ rodents!

@Ribh That's about 6'x3' in US. Is that the size of the entire coop and run, or is that the inside dimensions of the wooden coop part?

That's the run space including under the coop. I think it's a little longer than 6'. Not large but they have room to move around, feed & water. Would be perfect for bantams but they said 6~7 hens. [lol I shouldn't have believed them.] That would be overcrowded IMO. I have autrralorps & Barred Rocks & they are ok with it.

I will be getting 3 chickens : A sapphire gem, a Cinnamon queen, and an easter egger.

But seriously, if you're only getting 3 birds, most prefab coops will suit your needs just fine. Most of them are 8-16sqft, which is perfect for 3 birds.

Good advice. In your case a prefab might be worth considering, especially if your flock size is restricted by ordinances. Even if you decide to get more chickens later on, the prefab can always be reused as an isolation coop or brooder (which is what mine got turned into).

A few things to keep in mind if you do decide to go with a prefab: the measurements given are often of the overall size and don't differentiate between the coop and the run. Ideally you want a minimum of 4 sq ft in coop and 10 sq ft in the run. In almost all cases you will either need to add a larger run, or give the chickens time outside the run regularly. Most prefabs are also sorely lacking in ventilation and natural light, so that's something you'll likely have to modify into the coop.

It's for you to figure out, of course.

I looked at pre-fabs. They're necessarily small and I never saw one that was built from materials that I would trust to last 12 months. So we built.

When I say "we" that means we paid someone to build it for us because my husband and I are both old and don't know what the _____ we're doing. As a result, when ours was finished I had a stack of receipts for building materials that I've never added up and a friendly new handyman/carpenter to call on when we need his services again.

I'm sure I spent too much on all new materials. But it's about 18 months later. It's sturdy and thoroughly predator-proofed. And we are enjoying our growing flock. So the painful part's over and the productive part is well underway for years and years to come.

It's for you to figure out, of course.

I looked at pre-fabs. They're necessarily small and I never saw one that was built from materials that I would trust to last 12 months. So we built.

When I say "we" that means we paid someone to build it for us because my husband and I are both old and don't know what the _____ we're doing. As a result, when ours was finished I had a stack of receipts for building materials that I've never added up and a friendly new handyman/carpenter to call on when we need his services again.

I'm sure I spent too much on all new materials. But it's about 18 months later. It's sturdy and thoroughly predator-proofed. And we are enjoying our growing flock. So the painful part's over and the productive part is well underway for years and years to come.
I'd love to see pics! Soooo jealous...
:drool

Pre-Fab coops serves it's purposes if you only have a few chickens. With that said, 2 chickens usually turns into 3, 3 into 6, and before you know it you're up to 30+ chickens! So with that in mind, it would probably be wise to just build a nice size coop from scratch just to cover yourself if in case that does happen. I do like pre-fab coops, they are cute and easy to assemble but quality leaves a lot to be desired..... still, they are nice for what they are, quick n' easy. With that said, I couldn't have one as my chickens wouldn't fit anyways.... I have Oriental Gamefowls, and one of my Shamo cockerel can possibly grow up to 3 feet tall! His dad is that height.

Maya Vance: you haven't said if you are urban or on acreage? That may affect how many chickens you can actually keep. If there is a limit then you will know the largest size coop you will need. I can only have between 6 ~ 12 chooks as I am semi~ rural & the size of my property determines how many fowl I may keep. Do check with whoever determines these things in your area.

Back
Top Bottom