Building a 4x8 Coop inside 10x10 dog kennel

I would have the coop outside the run since you have that many chickens also because if you put put the coop in the run 18" off the ground they are liable to decide to lay eggs under it, making it difficult to gather them up. Put a few obstacles in the run so they have a way of getting away from each other in case they decide to have a chicken fight. Leghorns are not that big so they might be alright for a while in the space you have, it would be nice if they could get out and free range some to stretch their tail feathers.:D They love to fly so maybe put a chicken swing or places to fly up to in the corners to check out and get a good seat away from others when they need it.
This is exactly what I did. Grear thing about the dog runs is you can add panels and expand the run. This one went from 10x10 to 10x20. Aibe tbe chain link is sturdy, I went with a nylon type plastic fencing around the bottom on the inside. Wonderful stuff! Cuts with scissors, doesn't tear you all up when working with it. I think being inside it will be harder to chew through.
You want the house inside the run, and they will love getting under it, especially in hot days.
I used 2' chicken wire around the bottom outside, laying it out on the ground 1' out and staking it down, then wrap up the side of the run wall. Hoping this keeps varmints from digging in from the outside. We have empty fields on 2 sides. (I did lay boards on top of it, so I don't trip on it)

0623200827_HDR.jpg 0608201639.jpg

Yep, my new ones are roosting on a weird board above the nesting boxes, while they still fit that is. I guess that's bird brain logic! Ha,Ha! Good Job , Good Hubby!
Well, they found the poop board with the roost and two of the girls like to sleep ON the poop board itself, right next to the door we can walk in. Gonna have to build a secondary dutch screen door so they don't fly/hop out into the yard and still keep my deep liter inside.

Inching closer and closer to being done with the run. Ending up using some extra vinyl fencing on the backside of the run to deter critters coming from the woods and put 1x2 fencing on top. Just have to finish off the perimeter with HC and pen them down.
And I went with re-bar ties to connect the fencing to the HC and that turned out to work really well.

Attachments

• 82BDAD15-048D-4148-B60F-D76959AA56B2.jpeg
    82BDAD15-048D-4148-B60F-D76959AA56B2.jpeg
    977 KB · Views: 26
Hooked up the chicken door inside the coop to run box using hinges and a metal wire to pull it open. Then drilled a hole on top of the box to insert a metal rod to stop the chicken coop door from being preyed open if something got inside the run. Still have to extend the HC apron on the ground, as I only have 1 foot on the ground.

Wife wanted to let the girls out this morning into the run, so with a little bit of dried mealworms she got them out there. Should be safe during the day from predators, it’s my Australian Shepherd pups that have to be watched as the female is a digger and is already fascinated with the chicks.

Attachments

• B72BB7A0-864A-4B32-8F27-1336686A5BCB.jpeg
    B72BB7A0-864A-4B32-8F27-1336686A5BCB.jpeg
    418.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 70874E40-5006-4F0A-BB51-F2499BB0E310.jpeg
    70874E40-5006-4F0A-BB51-F2499BB0E310.jpeg
    819.9 KB · Views: 20

Back
Top Bottom