Building an "Old Style" henhouse.....move in day!....... (pics)

Quote:
3??? I may not know what I am talking about but you have 8 spaces between the studs to fill. I was assuming you would atleast have 4 windows, evenly spaced up there if not go for the gold and install 8 windows!!!

Aren't you glad you shared this with us? Everyone is a armchair carpenter
roll.png

Quote:
Somes good info....somes hooey
lau.gif
it's all worth what I paid for it on the net.
roll.png

No, there won't be 8 windows, that only gives a 1 1/2" between windows and the trim will be more than that.

I looked at the spacing, most I would do would be 4.

We'll see what I come up with.

WOW STEVE, I too read all 17 pages just now and I have to tell you reproduction capentry and bringing that Old Style back just makes my heart flutter!!!!! Whats next after this? Very nice work I think you should truly just side it with glass so you can see the fine craftsmanship ! I used to see these old houses all the time and do not see them anymore. I remember exactly where in my travels I have seen them, they so stand out. I remember seeing one as a little girl and asking what that was for because it had such a low roof.
You have so inspired me!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Thanks treehouse.

I did some checking and comparing, then talked to my wife about the siding. I originally was going to use T-111 and have to paint it. The T-111 (the good stuff, there are lesser quality also) was going to cost me about $500-550.

My wife suggested I use bright red vinyl siding with white trim, the dollar figures came very close to the same amount. The plus here is that the siding will run horizontally (like my avatar) instead of vertically. The vinyl will not need to be painted.....now before someone is quick to mention vinyl fades.....yes some do! I am using a product that is a very good quality, a deep chroma coloring throughout the panel. I installed this same siding on a clients house a few years ago and it has had no fading. It also comes with a no fade guarantee. Only negative is it is a special order and won't be here for a week to ten days....guess that gives me time to put the shingles on.

My lumberyard has already delivered my osb wall sheething, so I am going out to nail that all on and install the bottom windows........pictures later!

The original siding was 3" boards wasnt it? Or somthing similar.
Have you found many old pictures. I have searched the web and not found any so far, if you have any could you post them here!
big_smile.png

As promised, pics from today....actually just one picture. There isn't much else that can be shown than this quartering front pic.

I got all the osb nailed on, with exception to the above little window wall.

Then I nailed on the 2x6 gable end facia.

Framed the door down to accept a 36" pre hung door.

Installed the 2 big Andersen (freebie) windows.

I sure wish my little coop wasn't in the way right now, but until I get the henhouse done, it needs to be there.

Next up, drip edge and shingles.....maybe tomorrow!

001-7.jpg

Quote:
There is a book that I once got from our local library that had the plans for farm structures from the 1800. I'll try and look it up again and get you the title.

Quote:
What is SPF?

I have scrapped my former plans. I need a building this size and anything smaller would be shooting myself in the foot. A shed roof would work for where I'm putting mine because it's under trees. Thanks for the inspiration Steve.

Last edited:
Okay there are two titles I found when I did my search of the local library, they are:

Barns of Yesteryear, Naturgraph Publishers

American Country Building Designs rediscovered plans for 19th Century Farmhouses, Cottages, Landscapes, Barns, Carriage Houses and OutBuildings, by Donald J. Berg, Sterling Publishers.

Don't know if you can order them through Amazon.com or try Alibris.com

I really liked the 2nd book, just wished I had photocopied some of the plans before I had to take it back. But I can always borrow it again from the library.

Back
Top Bottom