Building coops to sell.....good or bad idea?

Pullet Pimp

Songster
11 Years
Jul 1, 2008
Ohio
I love construction and building. It is my hobby in my off time from my "real job". After reading here about everyone buying and modifying the Lowe's playhouse coop and wanting to find and re-use other structures for their coops, I began to wonder if there was a need for pre-built coops and tractors.

I know I could build a custom coop of the size of the Lowe's playhouse with next boxes and run for a comparable price that people are getting the playhouse for.

I am not knocking the playhouse coop anyone for buying the playhouse because that is a great deal and makes a really cute coop when it's done. In fact seeing what all of you have done with them is what got me thinking of branching out and building some custom coops.

I have been thinking of building tractors and small, easy to move and deliver, coops to sell. I wouldn't mark up the price much from the cost of materials so I could turn them over quickly and pay for the next one. Just a way to pay for my hobby of building.

Does anyone build and sell coops here? How has that gone and is there much interest and turnover?

I just don't want to build them and be "stuck" with 3-4 coops and tractors, cause I know I would put birds in them if they sat empty too long.
tongue.png
That would not go over well with wifey.

I would start with 2-3 designs of tractors or coops and go from there. I'm not sure If I could ship them cost effectively enough yet and would market my local area first. What do you all think?

I would LOVE someone to build me a coop! I'm making do right now, b/c I don't have the know-how and hubby doesn't have the time. Let me know if you know anyone in FL that wants to build me one!
big_smile.png

It is a good idea ifyou can build it in a kit form with predrilled holes, etc.
Along with a nice set of instructions that anyone could follow.

Quote:
Our craigslist is pitiful in this area. Only a few new posts a day. Not as many things listed on ours as in others I've seen here.

I guess I might try to build one or two and see how it goes. My daughter wanted banties next spring so if there is no interest she will be ready to go.

I would love to see your tractor coops and the sale price...
I'll pm you as I don't live too far away. (edit for typo!)

Last edited:
Yes I think there is a need. I close my eyes whenever I hear a loud whining noise. It is a bad habit kind of hard wired into my little brain. Makes me a poor candidate for operating power tools. Lots of folks need small projects built for them. I don't think you will make a fortune, but you can probably bring in enough of a second income to make it worth your while.

That said, while small easily transportable chicken houses are nice ready made, I think your real market may come from a precut and panelized site-erected structure. Then you could offer a small 2-3 hen tractor a 4-6 hen prebuilt coop with a panelized run and a "custom" panelized mostly pre-built site erected coop and run for say 10-12 hens. Those get too heavy for one or two guys to lift and transport even though they are not very big. Broken apart in panels and sections it becomes very easy. You just have to make and pre-erect a couple of floor models and be very accurate in your cutting and pre- building work. (Can you tell we have a lot of engineers in the family.)

i am sure there is a need. Our craigslist has someone who sells them. And playhouses too. You might want to have a few just for kids playhouses in there too, that can be easily modified... you could easily do business here in my area with that. And peole here love doghouses and playhouses that match their house.

Back
Top Bottom