Building My First Coop

Latest update . 2 of the hens are in full molt , they look like they got caught in a plucker . One is starting to grow out new feathers but the other (barred rock) is still losing them . They have been getting some xtra mealworms to increase their protein intake . The other hens are fine , still getting 3 - 4 eggs a day from them (nothing from the 2 molters). They did not like the snow we got last week , took them 3 days to decide it wasnt gonna kill them and to come out of the coop. I'll get some pics of the molters up later .

Latest update . 2 of the hens are in full molt , they look like they got caught in a plucker . One is starting to grow out new feathers but the other (barred rock) is still losing them . They have been getting some xtra mealworms to increase their protein intake . The other hens are fine , still getting 3 - 4 eggs a day from them (nothing from the 2 molters). They did not like the snow we got last week , took them 3 days to decide it wasnt gonna kill them and to come out of the coop. I'll get some pics of the molters up later .
Interesting that within the same age group, some are hard molting and others are still laying.
Do you use supplemental lighting?

Interesting that within the same age group, some are hard molting and others are still laying.
Do you use supplemental lighting?

No supplemental lighting , don't like to force them . The 3 Red Stars are laying about every day , no signs of molting , the one olive egger mix and one barred rock are the molters right now . I figure the other barred rock will molt soon .

Here's the two , the barred rock is the worse of the two , the others feathers are coming back now .

molt 2.jpg

molt 1.jpg

Time for a progress report . My 2 molters started laying again about 2 weeks ago , they had not layed for almost 3 months . None of the other 4 have molted or started molting and have been laying every day or every other day through the winter . Yesterday got 6 eggs from the 6 of them , thats a first since back in November .
Anyway , the girls are all healthy , they do not like snow , they do not like wind . Cold weather doesn't seem to bother them . Still on the same batch of chopped hemp in the coop from early 2020 , still no odor issues or any problems with it , I'm very happy with the performance of it . The "Ratproof Feeder" has also preformed flawlessly , another product I'm very happy with .

chickens 1.png

Good to hear! Impressed about the hemp bedding lasting this long. Yay for efficient and effective coop solutions! It's coming up on a year since I set my coop up and I've only changed the bedding inside once, in September. Been half a year now, I think I'll give it another full change soon and make it biennial.

Good to hear! Impressed about the hemp bedding lasting this long. Yay for efficient and effective coop solutions! It's coming up on a year since I set my coop up and I've only changed the bedding inside once, in September. Been half a year now, I think I'll give it another full change soon and make it biennial.
Thank you . To be fair I do have poop boards under the roost in my coop , I would say I probably catch 80% of their waste so that helps keep the bedding long lasting . My daughter still uses wood shavings and has changed it out 3 times since last June . She just asked me to order her 2 bales of the chopped hemp . She takes care of my coop if we go away and she likes the hemp in my coop better than the wood shavings in hers . I will probably change mine out in May and use it in the garden for mulch .

Thank you . To be fair I do have poop boards under the roost in my coop , I would say I probably catch 80% of their waste so that helps keep the bedding long lasting . My daughter still uses wood shavings and has changed it out 3 times since last June . She just asked me to order her 2 bales of the chopped hemp . She takes care of my coop if we go away and she likes the hemp in my coop better than the wood shavings in hers . I will probably change mine out in May and use it in the garden for mulch .
That's riiiiight, you have poop boards. I forgot about that. Yeah, mine is on month 6 without poop boards 😁 Still doesn't look too bad though. I've topped it off with fresh shavings maybe 3-4 times for those 6 months.

Lucky you have someone to take care of the chickens when you are away!

Poop boards are the best invention since sliced bread! My floor has deep pine shavings that I don’t add to and have only changed it once a year and even then it could have gone longer. Someday I’d like to try the hemp.

Took the winter water pail outta the coop today , got the outside water pail in the run , hopefully we won't be getting anymore serious freezes here but will watch closely . Hopefully Spring has sprung .

Back
Top Bottom