Building My First Coop

@adirondak5 I have another build question. I see that for the top plates of your run, you're using two 2x4's stacked on top of each other. I've actually seen that elsewhere as well, but can't find an explanation. Why two 2x4's and not one 4x4?

@adirondak5 I have another build question. I see that for the top plates of your run, you're using two 2x4's stacked on top of each other. I've actually seen that elsewhere as well, but can't find an explanation. Why two 2x4's and not one 4x4?

I did that just to get a little more support for the trusses/roof , a single 2x4 is a bit springy , especially going with 24" on center uprights . I find it easier to double up 2x4's in that situation than to use a single 4x4 , easier to work with , cut , carry , etc .

I did that just to get a little more support for the trusses/roof , a single 2x4 is a bit springy , especially going with 24" on center uprights . I find it easier to double up 2x4's in that situation than to use a single 4x4 , easier to work with , cut , carry , etc .
Thanks. That makes sense. Good to hear it’s not for structural reasons. One 4x4 is cheaper than two 2x4’s so I’m gonna go with 4x4’s then.

The pullets are averaging 4 eggs a day for the last 5 days now , still have 2 of em that aren't laying steady but they soon will . 6 months in and all with the coop is good , nothing has struck me as needing to be changed or improved and I'm pretty happy with it .
Went to pick up another bag of feed today , had mill date of Feb 25 , 2020 so I hit Tractor supply just right :) . When I got back home there was a big Red Tail sitting in a tree by my driveway looking at the coop , he didn't stay once I got out of my truck . He can't get to the girls anyway but I don't want him swooping down by the coop giving the girls a heart attack .

The pullets are averaging 4 eggs a day for the last 5 days now , still have 2 of em that aren't laying steady but they soon will . 6 months in and all with the coop is good , nothing has struck me as needing to be changed or improved and I'm pretty happy with it .
Went to pick up another bag of feed today , had mill date of Feb 25 , 2020 so I hit Tractor supply just right :) . When I got back home there was a big Red Tail sitting in a tree by my driveway looking at the coop , he didn't stay once I got out of my truck . He can't get to the girls anyway but I don't want him swooping down by the coop giving the girls a heart attack .
Great to hear the coop and the girls are doing well! Post some pictures of them all grown up :D

Great to hear the coop and the girls are doing well! Post some pictures of them all grown up :D

Here you go .
The kids named this Red Star " Mabel". She'll fly up on your shoulder or arm if you let her .

qIilkxZ.jpg

Here's a group shot , the one in the upper right lays the blue/green eggs , the rest are all brown eggers . The Barred Rocks are very layed back , not much bothers them , the Red Stars and the EE are a little more high strung but all are friendly .

jzlXww2.jpg

Got a real honker of an egg this morn from one of the Red Stars , the kids said I can't crack it until Saturday so they all can watch . Maybe a double yoker ?

Edit ; got 6 eggs today so all the girls are now paying the rent :D

IMG_20200305_071235402.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom