Building my run today.

Pics
Unfortunately, fencing to keep the dogs out won't be that difficult. But to try to keep peafowl in? It would have to be a really tall electric fence...
Truth. I'm worried about the bears and coyotes here. Mine will have a covered pen with 6' high welded wire walls and net over the top. The electric fence will be outside of that and at night it will also charge the wires running through the netting. I am using pvc pipe to make an arched roof with the netting over their run.

I believe that is Nandina, i would not plant one in a pen, it is toxic and birds may not eat them when free ranged but given the fact that some birds will try anything sometimes in a pen.
I have some texas lilac seed that i can send anone that wants them for the cost to cover shipping, they will survive in the poopest soil and grows very fast proving your birds with hours of shade.
THey make tons of seeds and birds love them

look them up on the net and you can see how pretty they are. Bees love them also
No that is not Nandina (I know it as heavenly bamboo). I have two Nandina plants in my peafowl pen. Nandina grows a lot in the yard and I have seen the peafowl eat the berries before a few years ago and sometimes they eat the leaves but they have started to leave the small one alone so it can finally grow more. The tall one is so tall that they can't reach the leaves.

I guess I am pretty bad with plants because this is not the first plant I have found out that is poisonous and it is in the peafowl pen. I really think that peafowl are not like other birds though. They do not seem to have problems with plants. I think those toxic plant lists might be more for parrots and finches, birds like that...That is just my guess...Also I think they know what they can eat and how much they can eat, etc. I don't think peafowl are dumb and I have had these plants in my pen for several years now. I feel confident in still keeping them in my pen.

Last edited:
Clumping Bamboo

This week i talked to a peafowl friend who had offered me a hen for my boy whenever i wanted one...they had free-ranging peafowl on 60 acres, with barns they could shelter in, for 14 years, at last count 15 birds. It only took one neighbor complaining that they weren't properly caring for their birds, i.e. they weren't enclosed, and animal welfare showed up, telling them the birds had to be rounded up in 48 hours...the officer felt bad, told them their birds were beautiful, and said he wouldn't be back for a week...they managed to get themall enclosed in a barn, but it made them so sad to see them confined, squabbling and ruining their plumage, that they decided to give them away...and she didn't have MY number!!! ;~(

No that is not Nandina (I know it as heavenly bamboo). I have two Nandina plants in my peafowl pen. Nandina grows a lot in the yard and I have seen the peafowl eat the berries before a few years ago and sometimes they eat the leaves but they have started to leave the small one alone so it can finally grow more. The tall one is so tall that they can't reach the leaves.

I guess I am pretty bad with plants because this is not the first plant I have found out that is poisonous and it is in the peafowl pen. I really think that peafowl are not like other birds though. They do not seem to have problems with plants. I think those toxic plant lists might be more for parrots and finches, birds like that...That is just my guess...Also I think they know what they can eat and how much they can eat, etc. I don't think peafowl are dumb and I have had these plants in my pen for several years now. I feel confident in still keeping them in my pen.
They are the same thing Minxfox, look up" heavenly bamboo nandina"

This week i talked to a peafowl friend who had offered me a hen for my boy whenever i wanted one...they had free-ranging peafowl on 60 acres, with barns they could shelter in, for 14 years, at last count 15 birds. It only took one neighbor complaining that they weren't properly caring for their birds, i.e. they weren't enclosed, and animal welfare showed up, telling them the birds had to be rounded up in 48 hours...the officer felt bad, told them their birds were beautiful, and said he wouldn't be back for a week...they managed to get themall enclosed in a barn, but it made them so sad to see them confined, squabbling and ruining their plumage, that they decided to give them away...and she didn't have MY number!!! ;~(

Awwwwwwwwww. How sad that they had to give them away. I bet that was heart breaking.

So free ranging is not properly taking care of them huh?

Awwwwwwwwww. How sad that they had to give them away. I bet that was heart breaking.

So free ranging is not properly taking care of them huh?

Apparently. It kinda freaks me out, i have three acres, but i have this ritzy development up my ***, called "The Farm" , i'm afraid they could do the same thing to me, because they don't like my peacock or roosters calling. Everybody is shut up at night, in bad weather, or when i won't be home at sunset, otherwise they are out...and really don't go off the property.

Sounds like there area is starting to develop which means more close neighbors which means there is more chances of run in with peas and neighbors,i bet it has nothing to do with caring for free rangers, folks don't want them on their cars and such and just like us they have the right.

Back
Top Bottom