Building new coop - Exterior plywood?

chickcritty

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
Eugene, Oregon
We're planning on building a new coop and on the plans we're using it says to use exterior plywood. This is the first time we've attempted to build anything. When I went to Home Depot to ask about exterior plywood they told me that they only had one kind that was truly exterior - it was a green color. Is this true or can I use other types of plywood?

As long as it is protected(painted) you can use anything. 2 coats is best with anything that is on the outside.

I am currently used OSB(chip board). Just be sure to paint around the outside edge really well. That is where water can do the most damage.

Matt

Exterior plywood that has been treated with weatherproofing is usually green in color. You could use a exterior grade plywood meant to go under another form of roofing covering like shingles, tin ect. If the green exterior plywood is going to be the roof with no other covering it is the right choice.

The plywood with the treatment that leaves a green color is pressure treated for direct weather contact. Exterior grade plywood is different (and also a bit cheaper) as it refers to the all-weather adhesives used to laminate the plys. Interior grade plywood can delaminate when wet. Exterior grade is always designated with an "x" such as bcx or cdx plywood (the b, c, and d designating the quality and finish of the wood). Exterior grade needs to be painted to prevent rot, the pressure treated plywood does not. However, the chemicals used in the pressure treating process are highly toxic so care should be used about containment of any small chips or sawdust being cleaned up prior to putting your chickens inside.

Thanks for the replies everyone. As always, they are very helpful. I think the only pressure treated wood I'll use is for the skids since they'll have direct contact with the ground. The rest of it I'll just make sure I paint really well. I've already made the nestboxes and the pieces fit together pretty well. I'm glad I started with that first - kind of practice. I find it's hard to cut straight with a circular saw - I need to set up some kind of guide to run the saw against to keep it straight. The jigsaw seems easier for me to use.

We re-sheathed our barn last summer with the green stuff- we used 1/2" plywood, wolmanized. Very pleased with the results but I agree, OSB would be fine if you prime and paint it properly.
cool.png

Quote:
they make small guides that you can buy, i think the largest one i have ever run across was 36". my way of doing a guide is to take a 1/4" piece of plywood 2" wide and however long you need it and clamp down both ends with the clamps that look like large clothespin, measure your skill saw's(circular saw) bottom plate from edge of blade, then clamp your piece of plywood that far from the mark/area you want to cut then cut away. ( o by the way if you use this method make sure your home made guide is not warped, and make sure when you clamp it both ends measure the same from the mark you want to cut) this is the best method i have run across takes a little longer to get something down but when you need a straight cut it helps. i learned this method on a job from a finish carpenter. hope this helps you out a little

I would be hesitant to build a tight coop using the treated. This does give off some fumes and is probably not good in excess. I used it for my runners too, but nothing else.

Hi! Newbie here... hope it's ok if I hijack for a minute.

We just bought a house and are currently ripping TONS of old wood paneling off the walls. Any reason that I shouldn't recycle these panels into chicken coop walls (properly painted, of course)?

Back
Top Bottom