Building new coop in old cow barn

It's nice to be able to see the run from the house! I know I would enjoy that!
Welllllll.....I live in Oho. I'm moving to Connecticut in June (At least that's the plan) I've been in my home for 25 years so packing, donating, moving, painting, replacing flooring....is what I'm involved in right now. Hoping to get the Connecticut coop sorted out in the fall.....and order chicks in the spring 2021? We'll see how it goes!! I will follow your postings and maybe learn some things from your start up!
You poor thing. Ugh packing and moving. What an ordeal.

OK....we've established that I am no expert so just understand that I'm raising these questions as part of my own learning process. 1. I see the roost is 65 inches in length? And you are getting 8 LF. If I remember right, the recommended roost space is "minimum" of 12" per bird.....so I was planning on 18" to give everyone enough space. If there's not enough you can end up with feather pulling and general crankiness. So....could you add another roost? Or even a tree branch or two so they have options?

Second thing......is there only one nesting box? Chickens are funny....they either "like" the nesting box or they go find their own place to lay. You may wish to provide some other choices for them that are acceptable to you so that they don't just lay them on the floor. I've seen folks use 5 gal buckets or plastic dish pans from the dollar store. I even saw a person that used cardboard boxes and threw them out weekly....that way they could move them around and find "the spot" that the hens liked before putting something more permanent.
None of this is meant as criticism.....because let's face it .....what do I know??:idunno Just wanted to have conversation about these things....

... Yes I am very concerned about mink & weasel. Will replace any lumber that is weakened.

Is 16 gauge half inch welded wire strong enough or should I get 14 gauge?

1/2" by 1/2" Hardware Cloth (HC) usually comes in 19 gauge wire; heavier gauge may exist but I expect it would be very expensive and also difficult to cut and bend?

If mink and weasel are your only concern the 19 gauge will be more than adequate. From what I have read bear or large dogs will not be stopped by 19 gauge, for these predators you are better to use electric fencing. I have seen some folks who put heavier welded wire over the 1/2" 19 gauge to deter the larger animals, the heavier gauge usually come with much larger opening.

Good luck!

Almost everyone makes changes/modifications after they live with it for awhile......
I recently read an article by @DobieLover about her coop build...she had an old shed and converted it. I LOVE what she did.....especially the brooder and outside brooder run. You might like to see her pics.....it's really a nice article. I think it's called the "Mulligan"

See if this gets you there: (I'm not the greatest at navigation)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-mulligan.74743/
Excellent article. Thanks much.

1/2" by 1/2" Hardware Cloth (HC) usually comes in 19 gauge wire; heavier gauge may exist but I expect it would be very expensive and also difficult to cut and bend?

If mink and weasel are your only concern the 19 gauge will be more than adequate. From what I have read bear or large dogs will not be stopped by 19 gauge, for these predators you are better to use electric fencing. I have seen some folks who put heavier welded wire over the 1/2" 19 gauge to deter the larger animals, the heavier gauge usually come with much larger opening.

Good luck!
We have an abundance of everything. Coyotes, opposums, skunks, fox, raccoons, hawks,falcons, bald eagles, etc....

it’s the way mink & weasel can get through the tiniest of holes that worries me.

Rough plans are to trench down 24” by run for wire for diggers, cover entire run with wire and roof on top.

Coop windows, ceiling to wall cover edges 2’, long 8’ viewing/ventilation window wire.

Found online from fence wire.com 16 gauge, black vinyl coated, welded wire mesh 0.5 x 0.5 for $295.00 for 4’ x 100’ to me that seemed like a good price. Maybe I am wrong.

Is this strong enough to repel all of the above? Have a source for 14 gauge which will be more but if need be will get it. If I have to will electrify it.

OK....we've established that I am no expert so just understand that I'm raising these questions as part of my own learning process. 1. I see the roost is 65 inches in length? And you are getting 8 LF. If I remember right, the recommended roost space is "minimum" of 12" per bird.....so I was planning on 18" to give everyone enough space. If there's not enough you can end up with feather pulling and general crankiness. So....could you add another roost? Or even a tree branch or two so they have options?

Second thing......is there only one nesting box? Chickens are funny....they either "like" the nesting box or they go find their own place to lay. You may wish to provide some other choices for them that are acceptable to you so that they don't just lay them on the floor. I've seen folks use 5 gal buckets or plastic dish pans from the dollar store. I even saw a person that used cardboard boxes and threw them out weekly....that way they could move them around and find "the spot" that the hens liked before putting something more permanent.
None of this is meant as criticism.....because let's face it .....what do I know??:idunno Just wanted to have conversation about these things....
Yes I see what you saying. Great catch. Can turn the corner and add 5’ making it 13’ feet. Thinking would like one roost, one height, so all are equal.

The nesting box can move to opposite wall. It is a community box for 20 chickens smaller box one fits 10. Got good reviews.
bestnestbox.com Went with 20 chicken box size so can add more chickens if need be without having to order new box. If they don’t like it will have to figure out something else.

Yes I see what you saying. Great catch. Can turn the corner and add 5’ making it 13’ feet. Thinking would like one roost, one height, so all are equal.

The nesting box can move to opposite wall. It is a community box for 20 chickens smaller box one fits 10. Got good reviews.
bestnestbox.com Went with 20 chicken box size so can add more chickens if need be without having to order new box. If they don’t like it will have to figure out something else.
OH...I see....I was thinking it was one typical 12" x 12" nest box and I saw red flags. That box seems like it will work!

Looked at drawing. The heater is 65”. The roost bar is 9’ leaving 13.5 per chicken. Do you think that is enough room? Thinking now I should turn the corner adding 5’ giving 21” per chicken. This is roosting rail thinking of. A lot of different opinions on bars.
6D36A4AA-E877-4B83-9AA2-480EBDD634A1.jpeg

Looked at drawing. The heater is 65”. The roost bar is 9’ leaving 13.5 per chicken. Do you think that is enough room? Thinking now I should turn the corner adding 5’ giving 21” per chicken. This is roosting rail thinking of. A lot of different opinions on bars.
View attachment 2011703
Personally, I think turning the corner and adding that 5 additional feet would definitely increase the comfort level for your initial flock and leave you a little breathing space to accommodate a few additions. The other thing I noticed and wanted to mention....in Dobielover's article she initially had her roost closer to the poop board and she said the ones on the roost gave the ones walking down the line a peck in the head. So she raised it a little (I want to say to 13?) and I remember thinking was that enough to make a diff??? But she said it solved the issue. I wanted to remember that for my own coop.
Ahhhh....coop talk.....it's so exciting!!
That handrail is FANCY....I never thought of using a handrail. :D

Back
Top Bottom