Building new coop in old cow barn

Good to know. Would you go 16 or 14 gauge? Or something else?
Should have plenty of ventilation.

19 gauge should be fine in most applications, however if you can afford 16 or 14 that would be thicker wire that should offer more protection. For the predators you have listed: Coyotes, opposums, skunks, fox, raccoons, hawks,falcons, bald eagles, etc.... 19 should suffice as long as it's well attached, with the caveat that it's been proven that very determined dogs (and of course bears) can get through almost anything.

Looks good! Ventilation is important. You have windows, but won’t always be able to use them if they provide a draft or breeze on the roosts in cold weather. Perhaps upper wall ventilation or livestock fan to pull out the air. Also can have roof vents.

we sometimes get pretty cold here. We have heat, but it doesn’t turn on unless it gets below 15F (programmable). I figure it's not really heating the coop up, it’s taking the bitter edge off. The coop is well Ventilated, so even with the heat it is only a bit warmer than outside. This year temps were mild, then dropped to -10F, quickly, so I was glad we had the heat in there since they hadn’t really gotten acclimated to winter by then. Since you have an electrician handy, add the heat, maybe a programmable Thermostat. The one I have has a plug forheat and a plug for cooling (can connect to a ventilation fan), with programmable upper and lower limits for each. These units are sold many places (got mine on Amazon) and are popular with home brewers and mushroom growers.

if they are already adding electric, add a plug for future outdoor electric fence if you think you’ll need it and a plug for water in the winter - you’ll need something to keep it from freezing. We also added an outdoor rated timer to add light in fall/winter on a schedule, but that’s personal preference.

good luck
That is a good idea about outside plug. Had not occurred to me might want to add outside light and electric fence later.

Installing exhaust fan, 2 windows in coop, window on door with wire, and 4’ x 8’ wire opening in aisle way. In summer can open windows on opposite side of barn and get nice breeze.

Unfortunately can’t add roof ventilation as large loft on second floor but will keep it warmer in winter. Thinking the ventilation will not be a problem.

Thanks for the tips.

19 gauge should be fine in most applications, however if you can afford 16 or 14 that would be thicker wire that should offer more protection. For the predators you have listed: Coyotes, opposums, skunks, fox, raccoons, hawks,falcons, bald eagles, etc.... 19 should suffice as long as it's well attached, with the caveat that it's been proven that very determined dogs (and of course bears) can get through almost anything.
Looking around thinking 16 gauge is the way to go. Searched the websites tonight and
fencerwire.com is by far the cheapest at $295 for 100’ x 4‘ roll. Will order a 4’ x 50’ roll tomorrow to see the quality/strength of wire. Will keep everyone posted on how that goes.

1/2" by 1/2" HC is small enough to keep both mink and weasel out. I know that 19 gauge properly installed will repel raccoons, I have had them hanging off HC covering windows on the front of my Woods coop, bowed it out somewhat but did not break or come loose.

Of your list of critters above raccoons are the most intelligent, persistent, strong, and have claws that are human like. If you can repel them the rest of your list will also be excluded.
Good to know about mink and weasel. Watched a couple of videos and they are slippery critters.

Looking around thinking 16 gauge is the way to go. Searched the websites tonight and
fencerwire.com is by far the cheapest at $295 for 100’ x 4‘ roll. Will order a 4’ x 50’ roll tomorrow to see the quality/strength of wire. Will keep everyone posted on how that goes.

Read reviews their wire came apart on some folks that is why I said the amazon

Good to know. Haven’t thought about the mice.
Plan to keep traps set in the barn but outside the coop.
Keep your feed in a metal container... garbage can, old freezer, etc.
Spill proof feeder helps too.
Works here.

might want to think about 1/4" mesh for some of the openings. mice can get thru 1/2"
Only the very smallest mice....the bigger ones get stuck.
1580566688738.png

Back
Top Bottom