Quacking ducks

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 31, 2019
Hi I am in the middle of building a new duck house, what should I use for the roof for a cold winter climate? We were going to use sheet metal but now after doing some research I am not sure if that is a good idea. What would y’all do? We do have strong winds in the winter here. Thank you
25092BD0-E524-4111-BBCA-66FA79981376.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi I am in the middle of building a new duck house, what should I use for the roof for a cold winter climate? We were going to use sheet metal but now after doing some research I am not sure if that is a good idea. What would y’all do? We do have strong winds in the winter here. Thank you View attachment 2941124
Hi! :frow
What did your research say about metal roofing that made you hesitant?
I have metal roofing on my duck house and it's perfect.

What is the best thing to put on the ground of the new run for my ducks? pea gravel? sand? What do y'all use? I have been thinking about using pea gravel but was wondering what the pros and cons of it are. I have heard that the pea gravel can cause bumblefoot.

And I have been thinking about putting some cages on an inside wall of the duck coop for brooders. I hatch ducklings and chicks in an incubator and then I sale them. Since I am going to sale them, is it a problem if I have them in with my flock? thank you

Last edited:
I use sand here in Ohio. I do have to replace it at times but I have never had bumblefoot so to me it is worth it. The saying goes if you can't walk on it with your bare feet and be comfortable, neither can they. Good luck with your decision.

Back
Top Bottom