building paradise for the birds

Pics
Limit switches.... excellent idea.... momentary on off.

just a physical example there are HUNDREDS of type and actuators.

There are even all in one mechanisms if you want to by a Whole unit

This is an Acme thread driven mechanism. all in one with Cams and mounting block....

You can also buy pneumatic ones but I like Acme thread better because it doesn't loose pressure if the power goes out.

deb

I am decent with mechanisms.... I suck with electronics.... I tell people I am a gear head not a sparky. Learned it on the job but at one time I was filling a manufacturing engineers shoes and sustaining what others had put into operation.

Its all gone dusty out of disuse. Too many new things out there.

Paper mechanisms do the same things that steel does so you can use the lid off a coffee can to start playing around how big to make it.... The motor can even be mounted on top of the refrigerator... Easy to access and visualize its position. a Clyindrical rod would be easy to seal for heat retention as well.

deb

Paper mechanisms do the same things that steel does so you can use the lid off a coffee can to start playing around how big to make it.... The motor can even be mounted on top of the refrigerator... Easy to access and visualize its position. a Clyindrical rod would be easy to seal for heat retention as well.
Foam core works well too. I built an entire convertible top system that functioned well enough to justify proceeding with the project.

Now I'm thinking of a screw driven waterwheel that is activated when you add water to the reservoir. [patent pending]

Quote:
foam core is great if you have access to it.... built a few TV station mockups too myself. few houses too.... Proof of concept stuff. better n Paper dolls. But foam core gets expensive at what twenty bucks a sheet these days? LOL... Definately a good choice for linkages and cams....

But I have also seen people use cardboard in a pinch.... that and Balsa wood or paint stirrers ....

Another good choice is the junk pile especially if you have to build actually working prototypes. I always have a junk pile at home.

deb

I used to get the scraps from the clay-modeler shop. They wasted so much of it. But that was ages ago.
Nowadays I like to get pallets, dis-assemble them, plane the wood and make new stuff from them. Other scrap or recycle-able materials get used as well.

I'll be building bee hives for spring.

Ohh I hit up the alleys behind the sheet metal shops for pallets.... The sheet metal comes on a four by ten pallet.... Which have four four by fours ten feet long.....

For plywood hit up garage door installers. They usually have to take down an old plywood garage door to put in a steel one. Were talking an eight by sixteen door..... All plywood with structure behind it. Perfect for walls for a shed or coop. When I moved to my house in the desert I came from the city with five single garage doors. They are about seven feet by eight.... I have two bolted together for my existing coop. The other three are waiting for me to build the new coop.

Partially why I am so interested in this thread because I am going to builld a poultry house. From mostly materials I have already I have three hundred linear feet of dog kennel panels 40 linear feet of Garage doors.... enough roofing tin to cover 24 x 18.... So I will have to buy or obtain 6 x 24 worth to cover the rest of my coop. Plus the truss's....

Oh and I have 48 linear feet of aviary wire to run around the outside of the coop... For predator protection. Its very tough stuff... 12.5 gauge by .5 x 3 mesh... anything that can go through that will be edible...

From a rolling walker I can put most of it together.... The roof and the walls of plywood I will need physical help though.

deb

well the humidity is stable at 59 percent so that worked out great....now I just wait...January 13th would be the day of hatch so well see....the eggs were brought in when they were warm I just don't know how good they will be being it was so cold outside Im hoping for the best....im so excited....

Foam core works well too. I built an entire convertible top system that functioned well enough to justify proceeding with the project.
I love foam core for prototypes....a good single or double wall corrugated cardboard can work well too.

well merry Christmas everyone...have a wonderful day...the incubator has stabilized at 99.5 and 55% relative humidity...and turning the eggs is only one second...I put a water bottle under it so it can teeter totter works perfect

Back
Top Bottom