Bull calf/heifer calf- Can you tell from this pic?

1indian

Chirping
Mar 15, 2014
Sorry, I am not a cow person. I like them but don't know a lot about them. So zeta blew in this little visitor Wed night/Thurs morning. He was in my backyard so I moved him into my pasture/paddocks with my horses. Kept them separate for a while and then turned them out together. They seem to get along fine.

Can you tell it's sex from this pic? Or do I need better pics of it's "parts"?
20201029_135454.jpg

I'll hate to see the critter go and he might be a few days. The sheriffs are all busy with downed trees and electrical lines right now. Their phone aren't even working according to a deputy I ran into yesterday.

He is male but look between his legs. You will see his "boys" if he has any. If he is a bull(intact) then be careful. They can be very ornery!

Thank you! I thought he looked a little thin, too, but not knowing cows well, I wasn't sure. He's eating a round bale with my horses now and even came into the barn for some oats last night. He won't let me touch him but I can get close. I'll tame him if I have time before he goes to where ever home is.

He's unhappy. He's been mooing his head off. He's old enough to be off momma, right?

Thank you! I thought he looked a little thin, too, but not knowing cows well, I wasn't sure. He's eating a round bale with my horses now and even came into the barn for some oats last night. He won't let me touch him but I can get close. I'll tame him if I have time before he goes to where ever home is.

He's unhappy. He's been mooing his head off. He's old enough to be off momma, right?
Looks like it. He seems pretty big from your pic.

I'm 5/7" and I'd say he comes up to my hip or close to it. He's big enough I bet he'd jerk me down if I roped him if I wasn't on my horse!

I'm 5/7" and I'd say he comes up to my hip or close to it. He's big enough I bet he'd jerk me down if I roped him if I wasn't on my horse!
Mine are about that tall, at 4 months. Maybe a bit taller. If he's eating hay, definitely weaned, I think. Mine didn't even look at it until they had been weaned.

I’d say around 4 months or so. Technically he should still be nursing if he was on a cow, but bottle calves are usually weaned earlier, so hard to say. Even calves that are on a cow at this age should be sampling hay and grass and grain so it’s a good sign he’s eating hay and oats for you. Fine to give him some oats, just make sure he doesn’t get too much grain at one time because they can bloat. Free choice hay is perfect. :)

he’s mooing for his cow friends (and his mama). He should settle down in a few days. Make sure he knows where to access water because sometimes they’re pretty dumb without mama to show them the way.

Thanks! I'm sure he's missing mama. I have no idea where he came from, though. Where ever it was, he didn't seem to be able to find his way back. The neighbor kid way over on the other side of the pastures had seen him earlier and then he appeared in the stream that runs through my back yard. That stream runs into the woods in my pasture so at least he knows where that is. I have several troughs, too, so if he's been up to the barn (and he has), he'll have seen them. He watches the horses pretty closely and they are obsessed with their water troughs.

Thanks for the note on the oats. I only gave him about a cup which is what I give my donk to keep him quiet while the big horses eat. I didn't even know cows could bloat until this morning when I was doing some research. I knew goats could, but not cows. Learn stuff every day in the country! :)

Back
Top Bottom