Bully chicken- seriously evil

Quote: And the best thing for the rest of the flock. And the owner. ;)

Unless you're one of those who feels a failure if you don't try everything with each bully to see for sure whether or not they can be changed or rehabilitated. No condemnation if anyone does that --- though I find it a bit hard to stomach when people do that with violent roosters who've attacked humans, since they can and do kill people... But it's kind of a look-away thing I guess. Each to their own.

The way I correct is by being the head one in the flock. When I have a meanie I hang them by their feet until they stop flapping (about 15 sec) when they turn their head and look at me I place a hand on their back and pull them up (still holding their feet), then I tap them on the back of the head with two fingers while moving my nose quickly towards them. I always do this right in front of my rooster and usually he gets in one peck after I move away from the head. I have done this several times and only once it didn't work the first time. In that case I put her in a baby run in the middle of their free ranging area and didn't let her out until half an hour after I closed the coop. It seems that if you put a hen in the coop after everyone is all settled in and the door has already been shut they get humbled. Extra roosters seem to be different, for them I either stomp the ground behind them or run at them making a lot of sound and arms out. They see it as wings and you as the top rooster. I only have issues with the new ones every now and then. Something else that takes much longer is to get them used to a treat schedule, I call all of them over with the same sound as I do my dogs and spread the treats out in a long thin line (so that no one can dominate the treats) twice a day, this is why I only have problems with new ones. They seem to know that they will all have plenty and are calmer as a whole. They are really smart beings so keep in mind that whatever you do to correct one you will have to keep up for any others acting up, when your flock learns what you do they will join in by ignoring the one in trouble for a couple of hours.

Be careful when hanging the chicken by their feet, due to the placement of their lungs at the back when upside down the weight of their organs is put on the lungs and it makes it hard for them to breathe and easy to suffocate them, but yes I have heard that it works.

You can always go this route...the Pinless Peeper. I too have a very abusive hen, the flock leader, that is relentlessly aggressive to the rest of the hens. Pretty common when there is no rooster around. I was able to tame her down a bit with these...

These peepers have not cured her of the problem, but over the years, she is much better having to wear them during times she is most aggressive. I use these on her for about a month at a time, to which afterwards she is better. A few months later, if her crankiness returns, back on they go. She is better than she was when she was 6 months to a 1 year old. She is nearly 3 years old. Maybe her age has her less cranky, not sure. BUT....these WILL stop the aggressive behaviors on the other hens, and does give the hen wearing them a definite attitude change. Good luck!

You only tap it like a 2 year olds fingers. The idea is to let them know not to hurt them. You do have to be careful when picking them up though, just enough to calm them and make sure they are very alert.

You can always go this route...the Pinless Peeper. I too have a very abusive hen, the flock leader, that is relentlessly aggressive to the rest of the hens. Pretty common when there is no rooster around. I was able to tame her down a bit with these...

These peepers have not cured her of the problem, but over the years, she is much better having to wear them during times she is most aggressive. I use these on her for about a month at a time, to which afterwards she is better. A few months later, if her crankiness returns, back on they go. She is better than she was when she was 6 months to a 1 year old. She is nearly 3 years old. Maybe her age has her less cranky, not sure. BUT....these WILL stop the aggressive behaviors on the other hens, and does give the hen wearing them a definite attitude change. Good luck!
I have never seen them before how do they work? you leave them on 24/7? can they open their mouth? How do they attach?

What do you mean by they can kill people ? Has this happened in you area ?
Hannibal, Missouri USA
Roosters with spurs can be very dangerous if they fly up and flog you, they can fly up and hit you in the neck and that is how they usually kill people hitting the carotid artery. They can give you serious cuts to the arms and face that require stitches or where every they flog you at. Hens maybe they get you with their beak and claws. Not too sure about them on how they would seriously hurt you unless they grew spurs which can happen.

Back
Top Bottom