Bully chooks

Kyliegggg

In the Brooder
Nov 5, 2019
I have 2 Lohmann brown hens who attack 2 other barnevelders hens. 2 days ago I have separated them by putting the bullies in a temp house inside my garage. For the separation method to work and alter the pecking order, do they need to be out of sight of each other completely or it if ok for them to see each other on other sides of a fence. I just feel horrible about locking them up and them not getting an outside run time. They don’t know they’ve done anything wrong.

I don't think this will work.You're integrating two chickens with two chickens (if I'm understanding correctly.) So, you won't have a large group to plunk the newbies down into, thus overwhelming them. We already know the Barnies are too laid back for their own good, So they are unlikely to fight for their turf, or even just to keep from being pecked.

You can keep trying of course. You may succeed. That said, I'd hold the rioters accountable at least. Put 'em up in your garage for a week, then attempt to reintegrat.

How old are these birds?
Did they grow up together?
Are they your only birds?
How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help here.
I’ve got 8 altogether but the other 4 don’t get picked on. All are around the 35 week mark. The bullies and bullied weren’t chicks together but none were laying. I think they were about 14 weeks old.
they have their Chook shed 3x3 metres which has an auto door to their run which is 7x3 meters. They have access to this at all times except when they sleep. They also free range when I am home.

I don't think this will work.You're integrating two chickens with two chickens (if I'm understanding correctly.) So, you won't have a large group to plunk the newbies down into, thus overwhelming them. We already know the Barnies are too laid back for their own good, So they are unlikely to fight for their turf, or even just to keep from being pecked.

You can keep trying of course. You may succeed. That said, I'd hold the rioters accountable at least. Put 'em up in your garage for a week, then attempt to reintegrat.
I’ve actually got 8 chooks. The other 4 aren’t bothered though. So do you think they shouldn’t see each other at all? No vision?

I’ve actually got 8 chooks. The other 4 aren’t bothered though. So do you think they shouldn’t see each other at all? No vision?
You integrate birds by putting them within sight of one another (look; don't touch). You are trying to dis-integrate the bullies so that they'll be forced to reenter the group at the bottom. You need to completely separate them long enough to make that change. I think I would start out with a week. A week will likely be long enough, and you can always go longer if necessary. They won't suffer as though they were alone. They have each other.

When you put them back together, you'll need to watch closely. The bullies might be bullied themselves. In that case the arrangements you spoke of (putting them side by side) may also be needed. OTOH, if they charge back in and start bullying the Barnies, you might need to start thinking about rehoming the Barnies to a gentler flock or moving the bullies out somewhere they'll be unlikely to cause so much trouble.

You do need to be prepared to tolerate a certain amount of fighting though, as they reintegrate.

Back
Top Bottom