Bully Easter Egger

mzhof

Songster
Jul 4, 2018
Suburb Twin Cities MN
So my 12 girls are 5-6 weeks now and raised together since week one. Yesterday I noticed Ava the Easter Egger was bullying JoJo my speckled Sussex. They're the same size, JoJo has always been one of the friendliest chicks so is one of my favorites. Ava has pecked at her neck and purposely seeks her out and chased her down. I put the bully in a rabbit cage inside the coop so she could still see the others. Boy did she make a racket. Do I continue to do this for a few days? At night I still bring them inside and there's no where to separate her then. I thought Easter Eggers were nice and I really want to keep her for the colored eggs.

Just keep her isolated until she calms down. Then let her out, and if she pecks Jojo again put her back in and repeat. We have an EE Ameraucana who is top of the pecking order right now. She's a little mean, but the other hens have learned to stay away from her. The only two that trust her are her two chicks! But that's not why she's mean, to protect them, she just always has been. Jojo will eventually learn to avoid Ava

How big is their area? They start establishing the pecking order more at that age so giving them lots of room and things to do can help burn off energy. Make sure there always places they can get away from each other.

How big is their area? They start establishing the pecking order more at that age so giving them lots of room and things to do can help burn off energy. Make sure there always places they can get away from each other.
Right now during the day they're in a A-frame coop 8 feet long by 4 feet tall. We built it as their summer coop knowing they're still small now and will need a larger coop before winter (we live in MN). At night I still keep them in a loveseat box 7x3 and I know it's cramped in there but it's only for 8 hours or so and hopefully they're sleeping. The nights here still get down to 60 so I'm just waiting for the week we see degrees above 65 or 70 to have them stay out all night in the coop.

Just keep her isolated until she calms down. Then let her out, and if she pecks Jojo again put her back in and repeat. We have an EE Ameraucana who is top of the pecking order right now. She's a little mean, but the other hens have learned to stay away from her. The only two that trust her are her two chicks! But that's not why she's mean, to protect them, she just always has been. Jojo will eventually learn to avoid Ava
Sounds good, I've been peeking in on them (kept them inside because it rained today) and Ava's behaved herself so far. I was just so surprised to see it was JoJo being picked on when there are smaller, meeker chicks (not that I want them picked on). We'll see how it goes, thanks for sharing about your EE Ameraucana.

Right now during the day they're in a A-frame coop 8 feet long by 4 feet tall. We built it as their summer coop knowing they're still small now and will need a larger coop before winter (we live in MN).

The nights here still get down to 60 so I'm just waiting for the week we see degrees above 65 or 70 to have them stay out all night in the coop.

1) They're old enough to be outside full time with that temperature.

2) Is that 32 sq ft A frame coop all the space they have during the day? No run space or yard time? They're going to need a lot more space very soon.

Is there anything inside the space to let the birds get out of line of sight from each other?

How many feeders and waterers? Usually food is a reason for chickens to get into squabbles, so adding another feeder might help a little.

Right now during the day they're in a A-frame coop 8 feet long by 4 feet tall. We built it as their summer coop knowing they're still small now and will need a larger coop before winter (we live in MN). At night I still keep them in a loveseat box 7x3 and I know it's cramped in there but it's only for 8 hours or so and hopefully they're sleeping. The nights here still get down to 60 so I'm just waiting for the week we see degrees above 65 or 70 to have them stay out all night in the coop.
That's pretty tight for their age. They are old enough to go out to the coop if that's bigger. They will huddle in a pile for warmth if necessary. You don't want that behavior to become a habit. Move them along.

Back
Top Bottom