Bully pullet... need advice

Cassowaryy

Hatching
Mar 9, 2018
I was down to one adult hen and couldn't find any mature hens to fill my coop...

So I got three 7 week pullets (currently about 11 weeks) to raise up and introduce to the coop when they're grown. They currently have their own coop and run.

I got a red star, a speckled Sussex and a 'mystery chicken' that I believe is an ameraucana. They all have a coop separate from my lone ameraucana, and they range together in the daytime.

So, my problem is that 'mystery chicken is strangely larger than the other two pullets and has proven to be a big bully. The girls have a lot of space and are able to get away, but I can't seem to stock enough feeders and waterers to give the smaller girls a shot and am getting concerned that the two smaller hens are not getting the nutrition/water the need. The mystery chicken chases them down constantly and is feather pecking my smallest bird a lot. I know that pecking orders are normal, but with growing birds-- I'm a little concerned that they are getting chased off of dinner.

So I'm considering isolating her or putting her with my adult hen. Or, maybe I'm an overly concerned hen mom, and should leave them be.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

I was down to one adult hen and couldn't find any mature hens to fill my coop...

So I got three 7 week pullets (currently about 11 weeks) to raise up and introduce to the coop when they're grown. They currently have their own coop and run.

I got a red star, a speckled Sussex and a 'mystery chicken' that I believe is an ameraucana. They all have a coop separate from my lone ameraucana, and they range together in the daytime.

So, my problem is that 'mystery chicken is strangely larger than the other two pullets and has proven to be a big bully. The girls have a lot of space and are able to get away, but I can't seem to stock enough feeders and waterers to give the smaller girls a shot and am getting concerned that the two smaller hens are not getting the nutrition/water the need. The mystery chicken chases them down constantly and is feather pecking my smallest bird a lot. I know that pecking orders are normal, but with growing birds-- I'm a little concerned that they are getting chased off of dinner.

So I'm considering isolating her or putting her with my adult hen. Or, maybe I'm an overly concerned hen mom, and should leave them be.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Temporary isolation might work, also how about multiple feeders and waterers added to have food for everyone = less bullying.

If there is too much feather plucking you may consider getting a chicken saddle, or a little coat the same color of her feathers (so it doesn’t attract attention). Not only will this make bullies not peck them, but it will give them time for their feathers to heal. I, myself, have never tried. However, I also never experienced plucking problems with my flock.

Back
Top Bottom