What to do about youngest pullet?

citychicks99

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
We had a clutch of 4 eggs hatch, 3 pullets and 1 cockerel. Unfortunately, rats ate two of the pullets, so it's just one pullet and one cockerel, both 9 weeks old now. We already have a rooster and can't keep any more young roosters. The cockerel's breed is also known to be especially noisy, so it's likely we can't keep him and the pullet will be by herself.

She's incorporated with the rest of the flock but they're big bullies. My first hen is the queen, so she's fine. She'll peck at the pullet but that's about it. Then there's the mama who hatched three hens. They're scared of their mama and the queen, but any other hens that are newer or smaller than them, the sisters will bully the crap out of them.

I had to separate my smallest hen because they plucked out all her feathers and traumatized her until she wouldn't eat. She's a lot better now and her feathers are growing back but I won't be able to have her back with the rest of the flock. I'm wondering if I should move the single pullet in with her or should I get her another friend or two that's around her age? Not sure what will be best. I have thought of slaughtering the sisters once they are no longer laying eggs but they're not even 1 year old yet so not sure when that will be.

Have had this situation, not fun for the lone sister, but I have plenty of space she got on just fine.
Maybe give away the female with her brother?

Back
Top Bottom