Bullying?

Sep 16, 2021
St. Paul, Minnesota
Hi! I have four one year old hens and until this summer they have been getting along pretty swell for the most part. But then this summer things started to get bad. My sapphire gem(Kelly) started bullying my rhode island red(fifi). Every time fifi comes near her when there is food or weeds or anything that they are eating she pecks at fifis head and fifi squeals. Fifi is now basically bald on her head, has no feathers on her butt, and has small splotches all over her body lacking feathers. Its even gotten to the point that fifi is so timid she gets scared when I try to touch her. Because I live in urban St. Paul right by the Mississippi river valley with lots of hawks the hens cannot be free range. I recently bought a run extension that I am going to build this weekend in the hopes that a little more space might help. Right now they have a small-medium sized run with sand. I was wondering If there is anything else I could do? Do I need to give one my girls up? If so which one?

Sometimes you have to re home the aggressor. It usually
starts attacking one bird, then adds other victims. At that
point, you have no other choice for the peace and safety
of the rest of the block.
I have a Barred Rock that just started doing this, and it's
getting worse every day. One more episode and she's gone.

Ok I'll take photos later today I cant tell but I'm getting the impression you are only supposed to have one thread is that right? People seem annoyed I have multiple but I dont know how this was supposed to work.
There's nothing that says you can't have multiple threads, but if you put all the info in one thread it's easier to follow/keep up with just 1 instead of trying to keep up and reply to now 3 threads.

Hopefully you will get some suggestions that can help you out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/1493473/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bullying-between-hens.1493469/

Back
Top Bottom