bumble bees

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by muddyhorse, May 23, 2011.

1. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    One of my co workers just rented a house it sits on an acre. there is a swarm of bumble bees that live by the deck. she would like to encourage them to moove toward another part of the yard away from the house. she would rather not kill then but they can't use the deck without 30 bees swarming them. an ideas ?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If they have established a nest, they aren't about to move. Sadly enough I think wasp and hornet spray is in order. I like bumble bees.

3. Gardengirl 2011

Gardengirl 2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Central Florida
    Is she sure they're not carpenter bees? They "drill" nice round holes in wood to lay their eggs and come back every year. I had them at the other house I used to have. Never figured out a way to discourage them.

Since she's renting, she should contact the landlord.

4. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Some exterminators offer bee removal and relocation for at least honey bees. Not sure about others. I have carpenters trying to drill into my pump house. Tacks or rocks in the holes discouraged them from staying.

5. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    If they have made their nest some where easy to remove. I would cut out a larger section of wood and move it to the other end of the yard, at night of course!

We had them make a colony in the trunk of an almost dead apple tree in the driveway (don't ask-lol) The neighbor loves her big bees and pleaded with me to not cut the dead parts off (so we could park 2 cars in the driveway) Thankfully, nature took it's course and the tree fell in the night, no cars in the driveway at the time thankfully.

I have a couple that live in the wood of a bird house my son made. One of these nights I am going to bag it up and bring it over to her house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by