Bumble foot in duck

I have a Pekin pet duck who I treated this morning for bumble foot. I cleaned with antiseptic, sprayed Vetracyin (sp?), and dusted with Wonder Dust. She is isolated from the other ducks. I would like to give her a little shot of antibiotic but not sure how much and if it should be in either her thigh or breast muscle. Could use some quick help. Thanks much from Southwestern Missouri.

Wondering why you believe the antibiotic is necessary? If the foot is healing properly and it has antibiotic on it, is shot needed? But to answer your question, dosage depends on what antibiotic you're using. Is it Tylan 50? For chickens the shot can go in either the thigh or breast, but needs to be in a different place each time if you're doing multiple days because it can damage the muscle.

dosage depends on what antibiotic you're using. Is it Tylan 50? For chickens the shot can go in either the thigh or breast, but needs to be in a different place each time if you're doing multiple days because it can damage the muscle.

Oh dear! If it's injectable Tylan50, I certainly would not want to give injections 3X a day for 5 days when it can be given orally. Injectable Tylan50 can definitely cause injection site necrosis.

Hopefully the OP will respond telling us which antibiotic they are planning on using for their duck, then we can go from there.

It's not that uncommon for antibiotics to be used when treating Bumblefoot. It depends on the severity/size of infection and overall health of the "patient":)

Can you tell us what antibiotic you have?
Penicillin. The vet I spoke with who does large farm animals but rarely the ducks, chickens, etc., also told me to soak the duck's feet in Epsom salts, which I did this morning. She still has the "lump" of the bumble foot. No bleeding. Beginning to wonder if I should lance the lump but am fearful to do that. Thinking the penicillin would help keep the "bugs" away while she heals.

Wondering why you believe the antibiotic is necessary? If the foot is healing properly and it has antibiotic on it, is shot needed? But to answer your question, dosage depends on what antibiotic you're using. Is it Tylan 50? For chickens the shot can go in either the thigh or breast, but needs to be in a different place each time if you're doing multiple days because it can damage the muscle.
Because she is outside all day long, my thinking is Penicillin could be of benefit. Per a farm animal vet who does little of the small farm animals, only large ones, it was suggested I soak her foot in Epsom salts, which I did. She didn't complain too much. I then cleaned with antiseptic and sprayed Vetericyn for good measure before sending her on her way for the day. She is eating, drinking, swimming in the ducks' pool, and looks like a happy duck. This is the first time I've had to deal with bumble foot in any of my flocks of chickens, ducks, and turkeys. Thanks for replying. Greatly appreciated.

Oh dear! If it's injectable Tylan50, I certainly would not want to give injections 3X a day for 5 days when it can be given orally. Injectable Tylan50 can definitely cause injection site necrosis.

Hopefully the OP will respond telling us which antibiotic they are planning on using for their duck, then we can go from there.

It's not that uncommon for antibiotics to be used when treating Bumblefoot. It depends on the severity/size of infection and overall health of the "patient":)
Thank you for responding. She is a happy and otherwise healthy duck. I have Penicillin, not Tylan50. This is my first experience with bumble foot. I have lots of chickens and turkeys as well as ducks, and this is the first one. There is no vet anywhere who does small farm animal care (rabbits, ducks, chickens, etc.) so we've had to become our own vet. I do call one vet who is willing to offer verbal assistance but not on hands assistance. Plus, he is two hours away.

Because she is outside all day long, my thinking is Penicillin could be of benefit. Per a farm animal vet who does little of the small farm animals, only large ones, it was suggested I soak her foot in Epsom salts, which I did. She didn't complain too much. I then cleaned with antiseptic and sprayed Vetericyn for good measure before sending her on her way for the day. She is eating, drinking, swimming in the ducks' pool, and looks like a happy duck. This is the first time I've had to deal with bumble foot in any of my flocks of chickens, ducks, and turkeys. Thanks for replying. Greatly appreciated.
Can you post some photos of the foot?
Did you pull a kernel or plug out of the foot or just soak it?

Depending on how large the "bumble" is, it probably will need to be removed in order for her to heal. Antibiotics alone generally will not clear up Bumblefoot.
If you remove the plug, then you would need to wrap the foot and place her on clean bedding while she heals and provide her with a clean tub of water to use.
Bumblefoot is usually Staph infection, so I'm not sure how effective Penicillin would be, lets see what Kathy thinks. Amoxicillin may be better.

Back
Top Bottom