Bumble foot losing battle

Yep I would agree. I had a girl with bumblefoot like this over the summer. She required a vet visit to dig out all the infection, 7 days of antibiotics and salve (triple antibiotic ointment) and wrapping the foot. Took a bit but she is all better now and it is all gone.

Good luck
Thanks for the reply. I do t think the vet will see her. They might give me an antibiotic possibly. I called today and the receptionist is goi g to check with the vet and call me back tomorrow.

I soaked my hens feet every other day for 30 days (30-45 minutes each time) .I used a 5 gallon bucket with a milk crate on top to keep her in the bucket. I had to prop one end of the milk crate up so she wasn't squished by the milk crate.She didn't seem to mind this part. I had to do this a month before the scab loosened up enough to pull it off. It bled very little. After lifting off the scab I soaked her feet for 30 more minutes before bandaging it. Every time I soaked her feet after removing the scab I put peroxide on it. After patting it dry I applied iodine and let it dry before applying a triple antibiotic ointment
I used a pad,bandage and sports wrap on each foot when I bandaged it to keep the wound clean and secure before covering it with black plastic tape from the dollar store($1 roll).
It took my hen 6 weeks to heal after I removed the scab.I kept it bandaged the whole time.Edit:I also gave her antibiotics.

I would apply some plain Neosporin ointment to the wound, and put a clean gauze pad attached with vet wrap, and leave it on for 3 days. Then change the dressing, and go another 3 days until it heals some. It could be that the salve you are using, and the constant messing with it, is causing irritation. Did you get a solid core out of it?

I soaked my hens feet every other day for 30 days (30-45 minutes each time) .I used a 5 gallon bucket with a milk crate on top to keep her in the bucket. I had to prop one end of the milk crate up so she wasn't squished by the milk crate.She didn't seem to mind this part. I had to do this a month before the scab loosened up enough to pull it off. It bled very little. After lifting off the scab I soaked her feet for 30 more minutes before bandaging it. Every time I soaked her feet after removing the scab I put peroxide on it. After patting it dry I applied iodine and let it dry before applying a triple antibiotic ointment
I used a pad,bandage and sports wrap on each foot when I bandaged it to keep the wound clean and secure before covering it with black plastic tape from the dollar store($1 roll).
It took my hen 6 weeks to heal after I removed the scab.I kept it bandaged the whole time.Edit:I also gave her antibiotics.
I think maybe I removed the scab too early. I never found a core in it. Maybe I need to do repeated soakings to get the core to move to the surface.

I would apply some plain Neosporin ointment to the wound, and put a clean gauze pad attached with vet wrap, and leave it on for 3 days. Then change the dressing, and go another 3 days until it heals some. It could be that the salve you are using, and the constant messing with it, is causing irritation. Did you get a solid core out of it?
I never did find a solid core. I did remove any tissue that didn’t look healthy. There was some white tissue around the edges that I pulled out. I’m going do exactly what you suggested and maybe the core will work itself out to the surface.

Make sure the vet wrap does not get too tight around the foot. I would check circulation twice a day in her foot.
Yes I will keep a close eye. I’m out there a lot with them. I actually took a few pics of the top of her foot. I’m a little worried that her “scales” dont look quite right. I wondered if it’s from the vet wrap or if I have a leg mite issue too.

Attachments

• C5B42F6C-A3B8-4C30-9E33-55C7DBA872F7.jpeg
    C5B42F6C-A3B8-4C30-9E33-55C7DBA872F7.jpeg
    328.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 36E42C57-E8EB-4B99-BF2A-6B59F201EFAE.jpeg
    36E42C57-E8EB-4B99-BF2A-6B59F201EFAE.jpeg
    402 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom