Bumble foot not better

Robin45

Hatching
6 Years
May 6, 2013
I removed the kernel over a week ago and her foot is still very swollen and hot. Her leg is warm too. I have been cleaning and dressing it every day. Her belly is starting to lose feathers because all she does is lay down all the time. She still eats and drinks and lays her egg every day.

Is the infection going systemic? Also when I clean her foot every day I get one little bit of pus out white in color but just when I first try and squeeze. Then nothing.

I don't know what else to do. Has anyone else had this issue of a non healing bumble foot?

Thank you in advance. Sorry I cannot offer any help as I am BRAND new to chickens and their health. It is a friend of mines chicken he does the raising and stuff. He asked me to see if I could get her back on her feet. I did a lot of research before I did anything and I also am a critical care nurse and have a vet assistant certif.

Apparently I am doing something wrong she is NOT getting better. Thank you Oh and also it is painful for her and frankly it is upsetting to me because I know it hurts her to do this.

Last edited:
Thanks that is where I got my info to do the surgery. Every day though I clean it and try to squeeze out the pus and I do get a little bit of white then it turns clear.

She probably needs antibiotics but I know they will not pay for a vet bill. I will just clean and dress it every day. I don't know what else to do.

Thank you so much though.

How long should I keep cleaning and dressing it? On that page the chicken still had a dressing on after 4 days should I just keep doing it until the swelling goes down?

So confused and worried about little Penny.

Back
Top Bottom