Bumble foot? Please help.

coolguy221822

Songster
6 Years
Apr 7, 2015
I have 2 pekins. 1 of mine started to lift her right foot up and stand on one foot whenever she was standing still. Now, she is kinda limping, trying not to put much weight on her affected foot. What is it? Is it bumble foot. Please help.

You'll have to inspect her feet. Look for any signs of cuts, scratches, abrasions, lesions, unusual bumps, black or discolored spots, etc. Any of those can indicate possible bumblefoot or place where an infection can set in. You may have to wash her feet to get a good look if they are dirty.

If her feet are healthy looking and no sign of injury it could be a sprain. I've already had to deal with a simple sprain with one of my pekins this year.

Get her isolated either way so she can be treated and not be trying to run around everywhere and possibly making things worse.

If you notice any signs of injury or infection please repost so you can be directed to proper treatment.

You'll have to inspect her feet. Look for any signs of cuts, scratches, abrasions, lesions, unusual bumps, black or discolored spots, etc. Any of those can indicate possible bumblefoot or place where an infection can set in. You may have to wash her feet to get a good look if they are dirty.

If her feet are healthy looking and no sign of injury it could be a sprain. I've already had to deal with a simple sprain with one of my pekins this year.

Get her isolated either way so she can be treated and not be trying to run around everywhere and possibly making things worse.

If you notice any signs of injury or infection please repost so you can be directed to proper treatment.
How would I deal with a sprain. Also, I don't have the money to go to a vet.

First make sure there is no sign of injury as that will take immediate medical treatment.

How I treated for sprain was to:

* Isolate her in her house so she is not running around.
* Make sure she has access to feed and drinking water.
* Provide a large enough pan to use as a bath so she can float and get the weight off her foot at least 4" deep.
* I also provided some electrolytes and probiotics (packages from TSC) added to her water to supplement and speed the healing process.
* I also gave her a treat of kale, peas, with a teaspoon of ground flax seed and millet mixed with a little watered down yogurt each day. Probably not necessary, but I felt better and she liked it.
* Then watched her and returned her to the pen when she began walking normally again. Took 3 days.

Also, what are signs of a sprain.

Signs of a sprain are pretty much what you described. Limping and trying to keep the weight off the foot. Also feel if the foot and leg are warm to the touch. But it is also the same symptoms of cuts or bumblefoot. That's why inspection is the first thing that needs to be done.

No cuts, but still limping. She is isolated in the cage with her favorite foliage to sleep on. how long shall I keep her in their. Also,, I checked with my local feed stores and they don't have any electrolytes ( for ducks, anyways ). Is their a substitute I can give for electrolytes?

I don't know where you are but you'll find "Sav-a-chick" Electrolyte packets at Tractor Supply. You could also look for "Poultry Nutri-Drench" also at Tractor Supply.

If you can't find either of those then add a couple tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar ( a natural form of anti-bacterial, just in case) per gallon of her drinking water and give her some chopped kale. Kale is an excellent source of vitamins.

Keep her in her cage until she is well enough to walk again. Don't want to risk making her worse or reinjuring before it has a chance to fully heal. My Pekin took only 3 days, but depending on how bad her injury is it could take longer.

Still check her feet daily as well. Some cuts can be small and may not be noticeable right away.

I don't know where you are but you'll find "Sav-a-chick" Electrolyte packets at Tractor Supply. You could also look for "Poultry Nutri-Drench" also at Tractor Supply.

If you can't find either of those then add a couple tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar ( a natural form of anti-bacterial, just in case) per gallon of her drinking water and give her some chopped kale. Kale is an excellent source of vitamins.

Keep her in her cage until she is well enough to walk again. Don't want to risk making her worse or reinjuring before it has a chance to fully heal. My Pekin took only 3 days, but depending on how bad her injury is it could take longer.

Still check her feet daily as well. Some cuts can be small and may not be noticeable right away.
Ok, its morning. It looked like the top of her foot is a bit swollen, but I cant see any cuts on the bottom. She still has that same limp.

Back
Top Bottom