AngelaY

Songster
May 22, 2020
Washington state
Hey guys, I think my duck has bumble foot and I don't know how to fix it... HELP!
IMG_20201126_112055.jpg

(Sorry about the had quality picture and her dirty foot...)

What you have there is Podermatisisis, which is often used interchangeably with the term Bumblefoot, but is different in the way that there is no laceration or external core, and usually just consists of swelling. The area can develop when the bird is housed on hard/rough bedding, or housed in areas where sharp objects can pierce the epidermal layer of skin.

It should be taken care of, as the area is almost always infected, and if left alone will spread further up the leg. If I were to see that, I would probably start soaking the foot in Epsom salts in hopes to reduce some of the swelling, and then try to make a small incision of the area with a sharp sterile scalpel, and excavate some of the puss out. After that, pack the area with Neosporin, or silver silvadene cream, wrap gauze around bandage with vet wrap.

What you have there is Podermatisisis, which is often used interchangeably with the term Bumblefoot, but is different in the way that there is no laceration or external core, and usually just consists of swelling. The area can develop when the bird is housed on hard/rough bedding, or housed in areas where sharp objects can pierce the epidermal layer of skin.

It should be taken care of, as the area is almost always infected, and if left alone will spread further up the leg. If I were to see that, I would probably start soaking the foot in Epsom salts in hopes to reduce some of the swelling, and then try to make a small incision of the area with a sharp sterile scalpel, and excavate some of the puss out. After that, pack the area with Neosporin, or silver silvadene cream, wrap gauze around bandage with vet wrap.
Thank you! I'll try to set up a little area in the house for her and treat the bumble foot tomorrow. I'm also gonna switch up the duck's bedding situation so that this doesn't happen again in the future. Again, thank you so much!

Great, Thanks! Any idea how long it'll be before she can go back out with the other ducks?

If wrap her foot well, she can go with the flock right after taking the puss out, just keep her from swimming in any deep water source too much, as that of course will soak the bandage.

Update: I went to lance Guin's foot today, and nothing came out! I poked it with a sterile needle and it didn't work. So my question is, is it really even bumble foot? Could it be something else, or should I just wait a week or two and try again/see what happens?

Update: I went to lance Guin's foot today, and nothing came out! I poked it with a sterile needle and it didn't work. So my question is, is it really even bumble foot? Could it be something else, or should I just wait a week or two and try again/see what happens?

Did you poke it with a needle, or lance it with a scapel?

Bumblefoot puss is fairly firm and is not going to come out with a needle. If you have a cut made, pack it with the ointment, and bandage.

Back
Top Bottom