Bumble foot!!

Meandmyhens3

Chirping
Aug 2, 2021
I have such an issue with bubble foot. Currently multiple hens have it and I’m just not sure how to deal with it. I am 16 and I’m on this website because nobody else cares for the hens like I do. I cannot do surgery for it bc again, just 16 and I can’t stand the idea of doing something wrong and accidentally killing one. convincing my parents to bring a hen inside is difficult enough. I know you can soak it and draw out the infection and I’ve watched so many videos and read many articles, I know exactly what the infection is and how to treat it and I still feel like I have no clue.

I can’t figure out why they keep getting bumble foot. I rake the run quite often so there’s nothing sharp they can step on, and the coop is cleaned regularly. How do I prevent bumble foot? I feel so neglectful bc I just don’t know how to help them.

Hi there! Can you take a photo of the foot/bumble and share it here? That way folks can give you better advice.
yes here is a photo. This is Cluck Norris, she is now limping and it almost looks like there may be two scabs, I’m most worried about her.

Attachments

• 70237EB6-E888-446D-BB1E-DFC498395EE1.png
    70237EB6-E888-446D-BB1E-DFC498395EE1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 91BD0029-2DA0-4DBE-B51A-7AF1DA1D49B1.jpeg
    91BD0029-2DA0-4DBE-B51A-7AF1DA1D49B1.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 7
yes here is a photo. This is Cluck Norris, she is now limping and it almost looks like there may be two scabs, I’m most worried about her.
My hens do have bumbld foot, but their's never really became swollen or made them limp. So I just left them alone. But I did give one that had a lot of scabs many epsom salt baths and wraped her scabs with salve in hopes for them to soften up. Her scabs have decreased. Maybe you can try that. There will be bleeding, that's for sure, when you try to take them out. Mine bled a drop or two.

Best of luck!

That's a big one. You will find great advice on how to treat a bumble on BYC, you have definitely come to the right place.

One of my friends (@Shadrach ) had to deal with a serious bumble in his rooster's foot earlier this year, so I've tagged him and hopefully he has time to give you some guidance.

I have such an issue with bubble foot. Currently multiple hens have it and I’m just not sure how to deal with it. I am 16 and I’m on this website because nobody else cares for the hens like I do. I cannot do surgery for it bc again, just 16 and I can’t stand the idea of doing something wrong and accidentally killing one. convincing my parents to bring a hen inside is difficult enough. I know you can soak it and draw out the infection and I’ve watched so many videos and read many articles, I know exactly what the infection is and how to treat it and I still feel like I have no clue.

I can’t figure out why they keep getting bumble foot. I rake the run quite often so there’s nothing sharp they can step on, and the coop is cleaned regularly. How do I prevent bumble foot? I feel so neglectful bc I just don’t know how to help them.
I do have some advice but I don't have access to the pictures that might help at the moment.
I'll be back on BYC tomorrow and will have access to the hard drive I need.
What I can write is that without vet care, probably an operation, it's a very slow and time consuming process.

I wanna thank everyone for help, I’ll start with an epsom salt soak, and see what it does from there, if the infection is too deep I’ll see if I can get a vet visit because at home surgery isn’t and option for me, it’s usually no less than $120 for an emergency visit and everything else has a two week wait for an appointment.

Back
Top Bottom