Bumblefoot and......? Urgent!

BabyandCotton

Songster
Jun 14, 2016
Florida
I treated my duck Baby for bumblefoot about 3 weeks ago and thought it was healed. Today I noticed her limping and looked at foot and saw this

It's hard and hot and definitely infected. How should I go about treating this? I can't tell if the infection is from the cut or bumble. Please help!
-Liv

You may want to pm @Amiga she is most helpful with duck problems.

That said, I'm not sure if you treat the same way as you do chickens, but what course of treatment did you use 3wks ago? Was it bumblefoot surgery, just soaking/wrapping, etc.?

From what I see there is still a "plug" in the foot, were you able to get a core out of the large area? If not you may need to re-do.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/560693/need-input-on-bumblefoot-treatment-in-ducks/20

I treated this morning. I soaked in a saline for 5 minutes, rinsed in ACV, rubbed CarMax on the chapped parts, put antibiotic ointment in the bumble and slash, and put a natural clay, used for face masks, over it all. The clay stuff drys, and if you mix it (it's a powder) with Avc and enough antibiotic ointment to make a paste, it's great. It's not hot anymore and is a little less hot.
-Liv

Hi, @BabyandCotton -

It is possible th infection came from cutting - that's a risk with opening their feet, and sometimes it seems like that is the best thing to do at the time.

So, I am glad that you seem to be making some progress. I would hesitate a bit about the Carmex just because it contains benzocaine, and that may be not the best since I have read that the -caine painkillers are known to be a problem in waterfowl. I doubt that one application is going to cause injury, but I wanted to share that...

Soaking is good. There is a method that follows a nice long soak with applying a few drops of clear (clear, not brown, clear) iodine, then not wrapping the foot, just keeping the duck confined for a few to several days afterward . . . then soaking the foot very well again. Often after the first soak-iodine-soak cycle, a scab forms that can be gently removed. And generally all the ick inside comes off with the scab. If it cannot be gently removed, or there's more stuff inside, rinse well, dry off, and apply a few more drops of clear iodine, don't wrap it, just let it dry, and then try again several days later.

@Miss Lydia has used this method, as have others.

With the foot being hot, you might consider oral antibiotics to prevent systemic infection.

Ok thanks! I did hesitate with the CarMax . Whoops. Oh well. What antibiotics should I get for her? I'll get some iodine tomorrow
-Liv

I think you are well on your way - there is more than one way to help a duck heal, and it appears things are looking up.

Regarding the clear iodine - it has other things in it than just iodine, and while I don't know for sure, the clear stuff seems to soak into the bumble better or something. The brown iodine doesn't do the same thing from what I have read.

Back
Top Bottom