Bumblefoot/Bruising in Pullet w/Bent Toes **No Emergency!**

LateBirdFarms

Crowing
Apr 17, 2020
Ontario
So, I've got this golden comet pullet that I picked up sometime before the snow stopped falling and the insanity started, (a while back is what I'm getting at), from a semi commercial farmer who usually spares a few production reds for me every few years. This year he had very high demand, so he could only spare a pair at the time, and me being me, took one of the birds he was going to cull due to bent toes thinking that it wouldn't be so bad, I could make my setup work for her. I knew she was too old for any of the usual fixes for young chicks, but I had gone to the extreme making sure perches were low, smooth and wide enough, keeping my bedding thick and fluffy and adding ramps all over the place (the ramps are my worst cleaning nemesis!) so I knew she could navigate the coop with ease despite her disability and I was right about that part....She refused to use any of my nonsense! What I was not expecting was the bruising on her toes and scrapes on her knuckles and a spot that looks suspiciously like the very first signs of bumblefoot on one palm/pad despite my careful accommodations.... Despite how uncomfortable I think it looks, Crooked Toes is my liveliest, fastest, most vocally demanding pullet I have, to the point of wondering sometimes if there might be something else bent in that head of hers too! She really is a total spaz of a chicken, acting like a cornered seagull with her screaming cries of outrage if I even let the thought of touching her cross my mind, let alone reach out a hand without food in it towards her.. And the look she gives! If looks could kill, skin and disembowel a person... she'd be the one to give it....

Before I get any more long winded... My question is, has anyone ever had any success making some sort of protective foot covering for an adult hen with their toes on both feet bent? Ones that allow them to continue to scratch and forage naturally? I've debated attempting putting cushioning on her knuckles at least with vet wrap, but catching her and getting it on will be a harrowing, stressful situation for the both of us, so I thought I'd come to the experts first before I square off with my insanely wild pterodactyl of a chicken to give her the help she clearly doesn't want from me! :th

20200729_021824.jpg
Not a great pic, doesn't show any of the bruises or anything, all the discolouring here is just the fresh topsoil she was tilling in with the lawn clippings. I swear she does a far better job, with more enthusiasm than any of my other hens... it's not her that's uncomfortable, it's me!

So, I've got this golden comet pullet that I picked up sometime before the snow stopped falling and the insanity started, (a while back is what I'm getting at), from a semi commercial farmer who usually spares a few production reds for me every few years. This year he had very high demand, so he could only spare a pair at the time, and me being me, took one of the birds he was going to cull due to bent toes thinking that it wouldn't be so bad, I could make my setup work for her. I knew she was too old for any of the usual fixes for young chicks, but I had gone to the extreme making sure perches were low, smooth and wide enough, keeping my bedding thick and fluffy and adding ramps all over the place (the ramps are my worst cleaning nemesis!) so I knew she could navigate the coop with ease despite her disability and I was right about that part....She refused to use any of my nonsense! What I was not expecting was the bruising on her toes and scrapes on her knuckles and a spot that looks suspiciously like the very first signs of bumblefoot on one palm/pad despite my careful accommodations.... Despite how uncomfortable I think it looks, Crooked Toes is my liveliest, fastest, most vocally demanding pullet I have, to the point of wondering sometimes if there might be something else bent in that head of hers too! She really is a total spaz of a chicken, acting like a cornered seagull with her screaming cries of outrage if I even let the thought of touching her cross my mind, let alone reach out a hand without food in it towards her.. And the look she gives! If looks could kill, skin and disembowel a person... she'd be the one to give it....

Before I get any more long winded... My question is, has anyone ever had any success making some sort of protective foot covering for an adult hen with their toes on both feet bent? Ones that allow them to continue to scratch and forage naturally? I've debated attempting putting cushioning on her knuckles at least with vet wrap, but catching her and getting it on will be a harrowing, stressful situation for the both of us, so I thought I'd come to the experts first before I square off with my insanely wild pterodactyl of a chicken to give her the help she clearly doesn't want from me! :th

View attachment 2266831
Not a great pic, doesn't show any of the bruises or anything, all the discolouring here is just the fresh topsoil she was tilling in with the lawn clippings. I swear she does a far better job, with more enthusiasm than any of my other hens... it's not her that's uncomfortable, it's me!
Treat the hen not you! If she is acting ok (normal for her) and shows no signs of pain or discomfort I would leave her be. Certainly keep an eye on the areas, use plain Neosporin on any open areas - just dab on - and see how she does.
Since she is a bit difficult and very independent, I would monitor - that way it's less painful for both of you.....:rolleyes:

I guess I deserved that one! :th

Should have kept it short and sweet without my brand of humor slapped in. ;)

Let's try again. I'm hoping to get some ideas in advance, -JUST IN CASE-. Does anyone have any suggestions, hypotheticals, tired and true methods or any insight at all into solutions for the relief of pressure or pain for an adult hen with severely crooked toes? I am not looking to fix the issue now, only prepare for the future, to make sure I have on hand what I might need, should the need arise.

These forums are fantastic for an emergency situation, with plenty of knowledge to turn to should something suddenly go bad, but this being a case of I know her Feet are passed fixing, and I know someday they might cause her trouble...I really dislike not knowing what I'm aware I might have to know and deal with at a future date! (If that makes sense!) :)

Thanks !!

Back
Top Bottom