Bumblefoot can't cure!

Davidhalpern2

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 29, 2014
My favorite hen has had bumblefoot for close to 3 1/2 months. I've tried everything. The infection is isolated to one toe. I've removed more kernels and pus than I can keep count of. She is currently on the second round of penicillin intramuscular shots. The toe is extremely swollen. I've tried Epsom salt baths, iodine sugar poultice , magnesium sulfate salve, tricide neo soaks, etc.
I called the one avain vet in our town and he wants $190 to treat her, I can't afford that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm emotionally attached to this bird and want t heal her.

Last edited:
Are you keeping the foot padded with gauze and covered with Vetwrap except when doing treatments and bandage changes? Have you tried to eliminate the possible causes, such as wire or metal flooring? It can take a long time to heal, but it sounds like you aren't making much progress.

Sorry, yes... I am changing bandages daily. Cleaning with beta dine, then iodine, then applying Neosporin, gauze, then vet wrap. The toe is so swollen it's pointed upward. I'm giving 1/2cc penicillin g 1x p/d. 8 weeks ago I gave it to her for 10 days (until the pus was no longer present). I'm currently on the second day on penicillin treatment this time. She has had loose stools for the entire 3 1/2 months. Despite all her suffering she continues to lay daily!

It won't heal till all the infection is out for sure. I am using vetericyn and making sure I keep the bandages on long enough this time. Some of them are just so hard to get rid of it seems.

Vetericin is an excellent product for topical wound cleansing, however it's ineffective for internal infections, especially staph

Some probiotics would help with the diarrhea. Are you certain the current swelling is not pus? I have not checked to see whether clindamycin can be used in poultry, but in dogs, cats and humans. It is superior for penetrating to clear the bacterial infection. The infection may be resistant to Pen G. Since Neosporin isn't helping, try silver sulfadiazine cream to pack the wound after soaking in antiseptic solution.

Last edited:
Yes I am using it to help the wound heal. The foot does best, I feel, when the infection is physically removed. I hardly ever have gotten a nice kernel....it seems like it is stringy and hard to get.

My vet gave me clindamycin hydrochloride for mine so (she seems fine) I guess it's okay for chickens. I gave her 1/2 cc per day.

However this is the chicken that seems to have a spot of the infection still left. I am watching it to see if I am going to have to open it up to dig it out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom